Hi,
maybe you should check "DSL" (Damn Small Linux). It's about 50MB and it HAS a GUI.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?res...view-damnsmall
Hope this helps.
Christian
I am looking for a distro which is samll, but contanis all functions for basic hardware and will work from a solid state disk . it should have way to communicate over standard tcp/ip over ethernet and some simple webserver and MC , bash with most commands and telnet and ftp etc.
GUI as Gnome and KDE and Xfree etc not needed
any suggestions?
otto
Hi,
maybe you should check "DSL" (Damn Small Linux). It's about 50MB and it HAS a GUI.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?res...view-damnsmall
Hope this helps.
Christian
Well the this one I did try, but it is somehow still too big and complex. I dont need any GUI, this takes just too much space. I would need a rather complete bash with most internal and external commands, MC, and support for TCP/IP network, FTP and DHCP client, and some small webserver for some tests.
No need for multimedia, graphics, games, GUI, offie and other similar things.
DSL seems also to be somehow complicated to opereate, bash does not understand me or I does not understand the bash, well something more stright forward would be more useful for me.
I have made a custom slax LiveCD for you. If you are not familiar with Slax, then check out this article Linux.com | Review: Slax 5.0.6.
First I started with slax-5.0.6.iso 178MB which is the KDE GUI slax LiveCD. I booted my test PC with it. Then I downloaded slax-frodo-5.0.6.iso 47MB which is described as "the console base for all other SLAX releases. It doesn't contain almost anything, only full working Linux command prompt and drivers." That sounds like something you might want. So I decided to use the frodo edition as the base and add some packages to fit the functionality you wanted. I mounted the ISO image and then copied the files to a 'newroot' directory. I downloaded the apache, vim, screen modules. I downloaded the mc slackware 10.1 package from a slackware mirror. I made a .MO module from the TGZ file & then removed the TGZ file. Then I made a new ISO.
The commands went something like this:Then I used KDE's Konqueror to copy it to my PC with a burner. Then I burned it & booted off of it. I logged in as root and then started the ssh daemon & the apache httpd daemon.Code:cd /mnt/hda1 mkdir newroot wget 'http://ftp.tiscali.be/pub/slax/SLAX-5.0.x/special-editions/slax-frodo-5.0.6.iso' mkdir original mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro slax-frodo-5.0.6.iso original cd newroot cp -Rp ../original/* ./ cd modules wget http://ftp.tiscali.be/pub/slax/SLAX-...rver_1_3_33.mo wget http://ftp.tiscali.be/pub/slax/SLAX-...creen_4_0_2.mo wget http://ftp.tiscali.be/pub/slax/SLAX-...Vim_6_3_078.mo wget http://slackware.mirrors.pair.com/sl...6.0-i486-4.tgz tgz2mo mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz mc-4.6.0-i486-4.mo rm *tgz cd .. ./make_iso.sh /mnt/hda1/slax-frodo-5.0.6-Apache-mc.iso umount /mnt/hda1/originalhttp://www.virtualacuity.com/james/o...-Apache-mc.iso 56MBCode:cd /etc/rc.d chmod 755 rc.sshd ./rc.sshd start chmod 755 rc.httpd ./rc.httpd start
md5sum c94593dc7e6db716ddcabf974aa59667
I hope this helps you.
James
Many thanks, I am just going to test it all
otto
Ver ynice, first test very positive, can make connection to my networkdevices, transfer files and all looks as this will work fnie for me.
thanks very much , I have not so big knowledge of linux yet, but I see that I have to learn here more to be able to create my own sets like this one.
ottoĻ
>http://slackware.mirrors.pair.com/sl...6.0-i486-4.tgz <
when I try this , I am getting the tar archive, can I use it the same way as the tgz? or how do I do tgz from it?
otto
They are not in tar but are gzipped tar files. The webbrowser or download agent is automatically g-unzipping the TGZ file into a TAR file. You should use a different web browser or use the command wget to download a TGZ file. In the commands below, I use 'wget' to download the mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz and then use the 'file' command to get a description of its format.
Then to generate the MO file:Code:james@test-machine /home/james $ mkdir temp james@test-machine /home/james $ cd temp james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ wget http://slackware.mirrors.pair.com/sl...6.0-i486-4.tgz --09:53:20-- http://slackware.mirrors.pair.com/sl...6.0-i486-4.tgz => `mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz' Connecting to 192.168.1.102:80... connected. Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 1,776,619 [application/x-tar] 100%[====================================>] 1,776,619 5.20M/s 09:53:20 (5.20 MB/s) - `mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz' saved [1776619/1776619] james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ file mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz: gzip compressed data, was "mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tar", from Unix, max compressionIf you do not want to use wget or want to change browsers, then you can just g-zip up the TAR file into a TAR.GZ, then rename it to TGZ.Code:james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ tgz2mo mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz
Code:james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ ls mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ gunzip mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ ls mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tar james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ gzip mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tar james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ ls mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tar.gz james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ mv mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tar.gz mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz james@test-machine /home/james/temp $ tgz2mo mc-4.6.0-i486-4.tgz
LNX-BBC (bootable business card) is less than 50MB and starts in command-line mode:
http://www.lnx-bbc.org/
Puppy Linux is less than 60MB but boots into a GUI:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
.......

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00
Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Micron 16GB DDR5-4800 PC5-38400R EC8 RDIMM Server Memory RAM MTC10F1084S1RC48BA1
$560.00
32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM
$1099.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM
$74.50
Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB
$138.99