Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Samba Mounting Issues

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    14

    Samba Mounting Issues

    I just finished installing Knoppix to my hard disk this afternoon, after running the CD for a few days and deciding I liked it. I'm in the midst of finalizing my setup, and I've run into a nasty snag: permissions when mounting a Windows share with Samba.

    At first, I thought that following the steps nececssary to mount the Win98 partition on my drive would work: create a mount point, chown it so that appropriate users could access it (I'm going on the group-based method: root:windows owns the directory, and my knoppix user is part of that group), and then mount it up (using "mount -t smbfs -o gid=windows //SERVER/C /mntpoint").

    However, I've run into a major snag going this: only root can write to that directory now. Interestingly enough, I'd tried "chmod 777 /mntpoint" before mounting, and then I see permissions go back to 755 (drwxr-xr-x); I've even had ownership revert to root:root on me. I must admit, that's extremely weird/unnerving.

    How exactly should I be mounting up this networked Windows (XP, in this case) share to let folks besides root access it?

    Oh, and while I'm at it, how the heck can I set this up in /etc/fstab so I don't have to do it manually every time I reboot?

    Thanks,
    Alex Kirk

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    As far as your /etc/fstab I would expect something like:

    //server/c /mountpoint smbfs defaults,user,gid=windows 0 0

    (in your options you might want to try umask=002)

    In my home LAN, I don't need to worry about security so I've set up a common password on all machines, windows and linux, so it's easy for me to either write to windows from linux or to linux from windows.

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting Drives Issues (newbie questions)
    By rasafrasit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 02:17 PM
  2. mounting MINIROOT = issues
    By MoFoQ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 08:30 PM
  3. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. how to use samba?
    By juan_sck in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Samba help
    By Prototask in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES

$85.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96