Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Read Only? Cannot Install Knoppix to Hdd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Read Only? Cannot Install Knoppix to Hdd

    OK so yea I'm new to this whole "Linux" thing and I really like Knoppix and I've read about a hundred pages about how to install it non of them have helped me what so ever. Ok I already have a 4 gig partition set up to boot for Linux. (hda5) I've tryed sudo knoppix-installer sudo knoppix-installer-latest-web and IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer. I made it the farthest with the last. However when I try to install it i run through all the b/s with login names and such and when it goes to formatt the hda5 partition it comes up with some error about it. I also cannot install it with sudo knoppix-installer for some odd reason? the cfdisk says my HDD is read only and I do not have permission to write. So i gave up and I'm turning to you guys to help a nub out. Thanks in advance all help is much appreciated.




    PS Windows sucks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    I had this problem - boot from the CD and format the HDD or partition you are gouing to install on with Qparted from the Live CD. I dual-boot Knoppix, and I formatted the free space on my HDD as a primary single partition with ext/3. When I did the install (did you press Ctl-Alt-F2 to get to the root command line before doing knoppix-install?) I then took the default options apart from the multi-user setup and it installed perfectly.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2
    Yea I hit ctrl+alt+f2 lol but when I type sudo qtparted that doesnt work it says "qtparted: couldnt connect to X server" help please?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTroupe
    Yea I hit ctrl+alt+f2 lol but when I type sudo qtparted that doesnt work it says "qtparted: couldnt connect to X server" help please?
    You misunderstood my post. You need to use Qparted BEFORE you do Ctl-Alt-F2, ie while still in KDE desktop.

Similar Threads

  1. USB bootable Knoppix: how do I make the install read/write ?
    By gerasmus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM
  2. Can't Install To HD, Because Drive Is Read-Only.
    By distiller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Read Only HD for 3.4 HD install?
    By musicmaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 06:40 AM
  5. Read Only HD install
    By iw2lsi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black picture

Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black

$20.00