Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Unusual HD install using LILO - can this be done?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17

    Unusual HD install using LILO - can this be done?

    I'd like to install Knoppix to a hard drive, but in an unusual fashion. I'd ideally like to use LILO for this, although I'm guessing I could more easily pull it off with Syslinux. But let me explain what I'd like to do and maybe someone more familiar than I with LILO can tell me if it's possible:

    I'd like to install the Knoppix image to a partition on my hard drive (as happens when one does tohd=/dev/hda1 for example) plus the initrd, but then use LILO to make the HD itself bootable, eliminating the need to boot from a CD. I figure I can use "append=" to specify the various options I need/want. The goal here is a "generic" Knoppix machine, running stock Knoppix only, with the speed gains of installing to a HD partition, but without the need for a Knoppix CD from which to boot.

    Can I use LILO to pull this off? I've never seen a lilo.conf without a root= line, but I think that's the way to go in this case. I just need LILO to boot and load the kernel, Knoppix's magic will take care of everything else. I took a half-hearted stab at this once but it didn't work out. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time or if I should just use Syslinux or some other such approach.

    I did get something like what I wanted by using a very small FreeDOS partition containing only the Knoppix kernel and initrd and a copy of loadlin, but that's an ugly solution requiring a whole other (albeit minimal) OS just to boot. There has to be an easier solution.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Maybe this will get you started: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17
    Actually, I ended up finding exactly what I was looking for here, which I got to eventually through the link you gave me. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Will the "tohd" cheatcode create a read-only situation, as is the case with the CD-ROM, or will knoppix also be using the hard drive to cache files, or do periodic writes?

    The reason I'm asking is that this sounds like a good solution for a silent PC, using a CF (compact flash) in an IDE adapter for the hard drive. If it is doing periodic writes to the device however, then a CF card shouldn't be used (CF cards have limited writes (between 100,000 - 1,000,000 per cell).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    The reason I'm asking is that this sounds like a good solution for a silent PC
    I thought about that too. But I found it to be cheaper and simpler to install a 2.5" notebook harddrive. I recommend MHT2030AT (30 GB) and MHT2040AT (40 GB) from Fujitsu. Both have only one platter and spin at 4200 revs/min which makes them practically inaudible. As these are not the latest models, you can buy them on eBay at a discount.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    The reason I'm asking is that this sounds like a good solution for a silent PC
    I thought about that too. But I found it to be cheaper and simpler to install a 2.5" notebook harddrive. I recommend MHT2030AT (30 GB) and MHT2040AT (40 GB) from Fujitsu. Both have only one platter and spin at 4200 revs/min which makes them practically inaudible. As these are not the latest models, you can buy them on eBay at a discount.
    Yeah but a spinning hard drive will never be as reliable as a solid state ROM.

    After fighting with lilo for a week I gave up and tried to do this with Syslinux. It worked on the first try. LILO sure can be a royal pain in the neck. Here's some links if anyone else wants to do it with syslinux:
    http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
    http://darkdust.net/marc/diskimagehowto.php
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LGNET/current/okopnik1.html

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Maybe this will get you started: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    This is the right link. I have knoppix to boot from a fat or ntfs partition using the iso, kernel and a special initrd file and either lilo or grub. You can also look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=asc&start=240
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Similar Threads

  1. HD DVD-install problem: LILO refuses to install
    By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
  2. Unusual install error question ??
    By gnukish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 01:03 PM
  3. unusual question!
    By metafizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 05:39 AM
  4. Unusual problem with Bastille. Knoppix works, Sarge not!
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 02:26 PM
  5. Unusual javascript in forums?
    By skryche in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim picture

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim

$125.00



Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486 picture

Lot 14 Vintage ISA VGA Video Cards Trident CHIPS UMC 8-Bit 16-Bit 286 386 486

$199.95



Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks picture

Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks

$220.00



Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994 picture

Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994

$119.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89