For example: http://linux.ic.cz/software/2/Aqua.tar.gz
It's a bootsplash theme, but I dont know either how to make it works on knoppix. Cause it towards to Mandrake.
Anyone can help?
Hi..
I am new in Linux especially Knoppix.
I want to adding a bootsplash to my Knoppix then do remastering, so my new knoppix will have a cool bootsplash with animation.
I have found many references, but I realy still confuse how realy to doing this. The links I have open:
- http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/experiments (Fabian projects)
- http://www.bootsplash.org
- http://www.bootsplash.net
- http://www.bootsplash.info
I have try to understanding them but I still cannot understand.
If anyone have good and nice HOW-TO about doing this (especially for newbie), please post here.
Thanks a lot before..
For example: http://linux.ic.cz/software/2/Aqua.tar.gz
It's a bootsplash theme, but I dont know either how to make it works on knoppix. Cause it towards to Mandrake.
Anyone can help?
The tools needed to have a bootsplash can be found here:
http://www.bootsplash.org/kernel.html
First you need to recompile your kernel with splash patch.
When done, install the new kernel.
Then you need to do some adjustment/editing of your cd miniroot file.
Files that you need to look for is linuxrc and all files in /modules (need to be replace with newer modules)
Get this file: ftp://ftp.openbios.org/pub/bootsplas...-3.0.7.tar.bz2
Extract and find a file called splash.c.
Compile that file with static option: gcc --static splash.c -o splash
Copy the file and put into /static in miniroot.
Edit linuxrc and add this line:
From the above code, you will know that your bootsplash themes need to be placed in /bootsplash folder inside miniroot.Code:if [ ! -f "/proc/splash" ]; then unset SPLASH fi if test -n "$SPLASH"; then splash -s -u 0 /bootsplash/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >/dev/null fi
Make sure bootsplash-1024x768.cfg reflect where your themes are located.
The last part is to edit isolinux.cfg and append : splash=silent
You also need to comment line in knoppix-autoconfig if there is line that state something about splash. This is scripted splash.
If you don't, you might ended with 2 different bootsplash running.
Done.
thanks, shah.. you are the man![]()
Trying to find a bootpslash kernel patch for 2.6.12 (knoppix 4.0.2).
I am using a vanilla 2.6.12 kernel and am customizing a livecd.
The following patches report lots of errors (most of the individual patches fail)
More patches are to be found at the following URI but I am not familiarCode:ftp://ftp.openbios.org/pub/bootsplash/kernel/ File: bootsplash-3.1.3-2.6.0-test9.diff 78 KB 13/11/03 00:00:00 File: bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.3.diff 81 KB 13/08/04 00:00:00
with how to apply them:
Code:http://bootsplash.de/pool/main/k/ker...ch-bootsplash/ kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6-1.diff.gz 10-Jan-2006 14:17 3k kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6-1.dsc 10-Jan-2006 14:17 1k kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6-1.dsc.asc 10-Jan-2006 14:17 0k kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6-1_all.deb 10-Jan-2006 14:17 352k kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6.orig.tar.gz
Any guidance gratefully received.
I use the spock's gensplash ( http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash ) patches, although it's aimed for the gentoo kernel, it works just dandy in knoppix and there's always a patch for latest kernel with two or three days of the kernel release.
Ok, installing kernel-patch-bootsplash_3.1.6-1_all.deb places patches in /usr/src/kernel-patches:
bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.12.diff.gz seems to work for me.Code:/usr/src# ls kernel-patches/diffs/bootsplash/ bootsplash-3.0.7-2.4.18-vanilla.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.3.diff.gz bootsplash-3.0.7-2.4.20-vanilla.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.4-r3.diff.gz bootsplash-3.0.7-2.4.22-vanilla.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.5.diff.gz bootsplash-3.0.7-2.4.23.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.6.diff.gz bootsplash-3.0.7-2.4.24-vanilla.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.7-r2.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.3-2.6.0-test9.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-sp3-2.6.8.1.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.10.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-sp3-2.6.9-rc4.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.1.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.11.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.2.diff.gz bootsplash-3.1.6-2.6.12.diff.gz
Thanks anyway.
Thanks, will have a look at gensplash.
As gensplash is gentoo oriented, any pointers to instructions for modifying knoppix 2.6[.12] livecd?
(will probably eventually work it out -but a well-trodden uri or two could save my weekend).
In general, the bootsplash works fine. One minor point, though.
After pressing enter at the initial boot: prompt, the following occurs:
-the screen is cleared.
-the penguin logo is displayed
-the line audit<numbers>initialised is displayed.
-there is an approx 6 second delay while the CD is accessed.
-the bootsplash begins.
Any way to eliminate the penguin (sorry tux!) and "audit" line?
splash is called in minirt/linuxrc as soon as proc and sysfs have been
mounted.
Apart from that, it's all going well.
Thanks for all help received.
Cheers,
the tux picture is actually inside the kernel itself and is displayed only on hi-res consoles. You can either use a low res normal console (boot with the cheatcode vga=normal) or you must recompile the kernel and disable the tux image. I believe it is the same for the audit line too. You will have to recompile the kernel.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95
Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
32GB 2Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA - SE1-13 (x2) 64GB
$280.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00