-
Copy data from one partition to the other partition
hii all, im a newbie in linux... i never use linux before... may be some of you can help me to solve my problem...
i have a problem with my Hard disk. i use S-ATA Hard disk. i use 2 HD. 120GB each. The first HD have 3 Patition. but the second one, only one partition full 120 GB. when i format into a new windows, my second HD which the contect only full data don't have the drive letter. when i see in the windows explorer and my computer i cannot see the partition. But if i see at the control panel disk management i can see the partition. and then my friend tell me to use the knoppix. he said its very easy and you can find all the partition. then i try, that's true i can access my second HD. but when i want to back up the data, i use drag & drop. it says that i dont have permission.
i get the knoppix from this web site. i download the program.
my question is :
1. how i can backup my data from my second HD from knoppix??
2. how can i sign in the knoppix as a root or administrator?
3. what is the root password?
4. how can i make a user that i can set as root??
thank you...
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
There is a link near the top of this page marked Documentation that will take you to a wiki that will answer all or at least most of your questions. Q2,3, and 4 make it clear that you have not looked there. See the section on ROOT.
From what you have written I strongly expect that your partitions are NTFS partitons. If that is the case, you can not write to them with Knoppix.
-
yes my patition is NTFS partition...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Man, I hope when WinFS gets released that those FS gurus will start working on a linux kernel module ASAP. I'm sick of not being able to modify stuff on my windows NTFS partitions. I could go fat32 but then how would I do my DVD backups?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
foamrotreturns
Man, I hope when WinFS gets released that those FS gurus will start working on a linux kernel module ASAP. I'm sick of not being able to modify stuff on my windows NTFS partitions. I could go fat32 but then how would I do my DVD backups?
As I understand it, the problem is that MS put a lot of effort into seeing to it that NTFS could not be written to safely. I expect they wouldn't even want the file system readable, but it's harder to keep existing data on the file system from being read safely when Linux can access the disk read-only. But corrupting when NTFS is written to by Linux is a design feature. I rather expect we'll see it get worse in the future, not better.
It might be easier for Linux developers to add the ability to write to Linux file systems from a Windows OS than the other way around. But I doubt that many of them have a strong desire to improve Windows. At least Linux can write to FAT partitions and read other Windows file systems (a capability I expect will exist at least until Longhorn's DRM defeats it). Windows can't even read a Linux partition.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I dont't know whether M$ will make available the specifications of the new file system so that the Linux people can implement it in the kernel. But then, Windows Vista will not allow you to make backup copies of your DVDs anyway.
Similar Threads
-
By okorkie in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
-
By Nocontact in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
-
By cekoch in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-11-2006, 05:46 AM
-
By StryDeR in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
-
By kevstar31 in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A
$299.95

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz
$87.00

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested
$29.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$159.95

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz Desktop RAM Black & White
$139.00