Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Netgear WGR614v6 advisory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9

    Netgear WGR614v6 advisory

    Hi,

    I am just sending this post to explain to everyone who reads this of the problems that Netgear is having with their WGR614v6 wireless firewall/router.

    I have had a trouble ticket opened with them for some time because the router will only recognize one device (a laptop) and then it'll only assign that one an IP if it's booted into winxp.

    If I boot into Knoppix from the same laptop, I am given some 169.x.x.x ip address which isn't even on the same subnet.

    I opened a ticket with Netgear shortly after discovering this and it's now almost a week later, there is no resolution. Their techs are answering at the furious rate of one post every 24 hours.

    Their web site acknowledges that there are problems with this firewall router with WEP and DHCP enabled.

    Their fix? Turn off one or the other.

    The trouble is that I did turn off DHCP and assigned ip's and the boxes could not see the network.

    So I turned off WEP and turned DHCP back on. Now all wireless devices can get on but the data traffic that they transmit is completely open.

    I am posting this because there are people out there right now looking to purchase a wireless router for dorm/home/apt/etc...

    Avoid this one unless you wish only connect one laptop to it that's only running the WinXP operating system.

    And fwiw...this router is on its sixth revision and it's a little over a year old. Their last firmware update was back in early May and there doesn't seem to be any fix in the pipes for their WEP/DHCP problem.

    So tomorrow, I'm taking this hunk of junk back and purchasing another brand yet to be determined.

    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place...but I tried to put this in the appropriate forum.

    Thanks!
    john

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    I too have this router and i've had no problem, I do however use WPA-PSK rather than WEP as it a more stronger encryption algorithm.
    It is disappointing that it won't work for you, I finally settled for Netgear after having some real dramas with DLink and Belkin products.

    Alas I do hope you find one that will suite your needs.

Similar Threads

  1. Netgear USB LAN Adapter
    By johart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 03:19 AM
  2. Netgear WG111 and WPA
    By bobeltomate in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 11:34 PM
  3. Netgear help
    By Kite516 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:14 PM
  4. Netgear WG511
    By :-) in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 02:04 PM
  5. Netgear MA401
    By vishalkapoorv in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK hynix 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2×16GB) PC4-2666V-SE1-11 HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK picture

SK hynix 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2×16GB) PC4-2666V-SE1-11 HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK

$99.99



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 2x8GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666 RAM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 2x8GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666 RAM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16

$74.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 288-Pin DIMM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 288-Pin DIMM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16

$70.00



Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 SO-DIMM CL22 CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FR picture

Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 SO-DIMM CL22 CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FR

$149.00



128 gb ddr4 ram 3200 mhz (32x4)-Sold after switching my motherboard picture

128 gb ddr4 ram 3200 mhz (32x4)-Sold after switching my motherboard

$1000.00



CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin DESKTOP PC RAM Memory picture

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin DESKTOP PC RAM Memory

$250.00