Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Flash Player

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1

    Flash Player

    I am trying to get a Knoppix or any live distro to boot with Macromedia's Flash Player installed. I have read that there are some copyright issues but mabe a script could make this happen. I limp around the command line in linux. What I want is to be able to boot easily to let my kids play internet flash games without jepodizing the underlying Windows install.

    Could I install flash and other plugins to a USB thumbdrive? If so how? Firefox won't let me install Flash directly I have to download the install file, decompress it, and install it at the command line. Easy for some but hard for me every time.

    If anyone has a solution lots of detail or places to look would be appreciated.

    Does the DVD version offer any hope of booting with more plugins installed?


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    A guy from Austin makes a remaster called Overclockix, which has always included a flash player.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    You can install Flash Player to your hard drive, like I do, and activate it with a script. I am sure it would also work with other storage also, if you specify the mount points. Your mount points will be different than mine, of course. Off subject, I also have a RealPlayer icon and Windows Media Codecs install with the same simple script I use to easily activate Flash Player. I install the two Flash Player files on my hard drive at /mnt/sda1/flash. I install RealPlayer8 with the installation program at /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer8 instead of the default. I unzip Win32 codecs at /mnt/sda1/essential-20050412 from the mplayer site. I then write a script in a text editor named Multimedia. It goes:

    #!/bin/bash

    mkdir /UNIONFS/usr/lib/win32
    cp /mnt/sda1/essential-20050412/* /UNIONFS/usr/lib/win32
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer8/realplay /home/root/Desktop/RealPlayer8
    cp /mnt/sda1/flash/flashplayer.xpt /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
    cp /mnt/sda1/flash/libflashplayer.so /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins

    Then make sure the script is executable (right click on Properties, check "executable" under permissions). And make sure it is available to all users, too. Each time you reboot, just click on the script wherever you have it and you are ready to use RealPlayer, Flash for Firefox, and Xine with windows codecs. Of course, I run as root by booting as Knoppix 2, but once you have installed the stuff to your hard drive, it should work running as user. The /home/root would be replaced, of course, by /home/knoppix or whatever your home directory desktop is.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I would use a minor variation of the script above where I use symbolic links for the flash software instead of actually copying it to the unionfs. saves memory / diskspace in ram disk.

    mkdir /UNIONFS/usr/lib/win32
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/essential-20050412/* /UNIONFS/usr/lib/win32
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer8/realplay /home/root/Desktop/RealPlayer8
    mkdir /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/flash/flashplayer.xpt /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/flash/libflashplayer.so /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/

    i use a klik .cmg to run realplayer gold on the rare occasions that i need it, but the same logic would apply if you wanted to keep an installed copy in a directory on a thumb (or other) drive.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    6
    I've had a bit of a frustrating time trying to get realplayer to work (without installing it every time I re-boot my machine). So I tried the above tip (the symbolic links version), as user not root. I replaced the "/home/root"s with "/home/knoppix"s, and tried it out. However, I got permission denied errors for creating the directories and the links. Any tips as to what I am doing wrong?

    Cheers,

    Rob.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    To do the little script as user, and assuming the script already resides on the storage media, it is a little different. You will need write permissions to your system outside of your home directory, and a superuser shell will do. Open a terminal, and at the user prompt ($), enter

    $su

    then

    #cd /mnt/sda1

    then

    #./Multimedia

    That should do the trick.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the su tip -- have done that and the "Multimedia" script worked. It didn't do what I wanted however! My situation is that I have RealPlayer10GOLD.bin on my usb thumbdrive /mnt/sda1, and every time I reboot my machine if I want realplayer to work in Mozilla I have to (re-) install the realplayer via:

    # cd /mnt/sda1
    # su
    # ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

    What I was/am after is a method of having realplayer available without having to re-install it all the time, and running this Multimedia script looked like a good solution. What I have just tried (after trying lots of stuff and it not working) was to go to the log file created when I install realplayer, for me this file is "/mnt/sda1/RealPlayer/install.log". Scrolling down this file I came to a line "post-install setup commands:". Every line below this point I copied into my Multimedia script file. (There were about 200!) I have just tried running this script, and so far give it a partial success -- there were no complaints from running the script itself. When I tried in Mozilla to view realplayer content, it whinged the first time (something about not having realplay, hxplay or something on path), but I clicked on the content a second time and it worked fine! (Computers eh? - I'll never understand them!) So, maybe this will do the trick -- but I would be interested to hear of any more elegant solutions, especially one that doesn't require a script so long!

    Cheers,

    Rob.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    It should work, if you first boot with cheatcode "Knoppix 2" to boot as root so you can install RealPlayer 10 to directory /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer10. Sudo su when needed should do the same, though, but is less convenient. Place a script in on the same drive like this for RP10 -

    #!/bin/bash

    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer10/realplay /UNIONFS/usr/bin/realplay
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer10/realplay /ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop/RealPlayer10
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer10/mozilla/nphelix.so /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
    ln -s /mnt/sda1/RealPlayer10/mozilla/nphelix.xpt /UNIONFS/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components/nphelix.xpt

    When you reboot as user, do at a terminal:

    $sudo su
    #mount /mnt/sda1
    #cd /mnt/sda1
    #./ScriptName

    and the executable script will activate the final gui portion of the RealPlayer10 install as well as symlink the Firefox plugins for the embedded audio/video stuff, which has worked well for me with Firefox.

Similar Threads

  1. trying to install flash player in v6.2
    By Albretch in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM
  2. Macromedia Flash Player
    By Distro-Don in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM
  3. Questions about macromedia flash player
    By A.O.Q. in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 01:09 AM
  4. Problem with Firefox and flash player
    By lewisdw in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 03:50 AM
  5. The flash player
    By Lemming in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00