-
Booting from harddisk
Hi.
I have an 3.3 Knoppix CD, which is (of course) bootable.
Now ... I need to run Knoppix from a computer (server), which doesn't have a CD drive. How can I use Knoppix on this computer? I thought there might be a possibility to transfer the data to an empty harddisk on that computer, but how can I boot from this one?
Many thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
If the computer (server) is capable of booting via NIC (e.g., PXE boot) and your Knoppix 3.3 cd has the terminal server script on it, you might be able to boot and install Knoppix from another computer on your LAN. I know that the script is integrated in Knoppix 3.7 and later, but I have no first hand information on 3.3.
Here is more information on this solution; it's fast, and I used it several times with great success:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...erminal+server
Don't forget to uncheck "disallow root access on client" when you run the script; you need root priviledges to install Knoppix on the server.
And here is a description by someone who did it with Knoppix 3.3 and a Thinkpad X40:
I consider the Knoppix CD as a Swiss Knife for everything regarding system rescue. Unfortunately, up to Knoppix 3.3, it does not support to be booted from a USB connected CD drive. Starting with version 3.4, it is supported.
Glad to have a Thinkpad, since it supports PXE to boot off another system in case you cannot boot from a CD drive. So I started the Knoppix on another system, started the Knoppix terminal server from Knoppix 3.3 (when booted into KDE, look in the K-Menu for the link to the terminal server setup).
I booted into the X40 into the BIOS and made the booting from the network the first boot option. Now when rebooting the system (that of course is connected to the same network as the terminal server), it boots from the Knoppix terminal server - yes, it is that easy!
From
http://www.chronox.de/x40_linux/linux_on_x40.html
-

Originally Posted by
ockham23
If the computer (server) is capable of booting via NIC (e.g., PXE boot) and your Knoppix 3.3 cd has the terminal server script on it, you might be able to boot and install Knoppix from another computer on your LAN. I know that the script is integrated in Knoppix 3.7 and later, but I have no first hand information on 3.3.
...
Thanks a lot for your information. I'll give that one a try as soon as time permits (guess, it takes some time to go through this ...).
Meanwhile ... is it not possible to copy all files on the Knoppix CD via the LAN to an empty harddisk on my computer, set this harddisk inside the MBR active and boot Knoppix from this harddisk?
Thanks,
-
Senior Member
registered user
guess, it takes some time to go through this
No, not at all, if your computer supports network boot. Just check your BIOS for boot options. Do you have a separate network interface card (PCI slot) or an onboard solution?
If the network boot doesn't work, take a look at "ISO boot from ..." in the hdd install section of the board. If I remember it correctly, somebody created a boot floppy that loads a KNOPPIX files from hard drive. That was possible with older Knoppix versions up to 3.4.
There is more information on alternative install methods in the documentation section, e.g. "poor man's install".
-
I started the "terminal Server" and booted the other computer via LAN. However the last one didn't boot Knoppix. Guess my onboard LAN doesn't support PXE

Anyway ... thanks a lot for your help!
Similar Threads
-
By JackRnl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2007, 07:18 AM
-
By chessweb in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
-
By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 06:17 PM
-
By theomega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2697v2 ( E5-2697 v2) SR19H - 2.7GHz 12 Core LGA2011
$35.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11
$699.00