Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Will not configure NIC at all.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Will not configure NIC at all.

    I have an HP here and the on board NIC was damaged by a power surge. I installed a card I had laying around (Kingston KNE100TX) and the network has been working fine since. When I boot from the CD, it will hang at the DCHP detect line and lock up. I can boot all the way to the desktop if I use the "nodhcp" option but if I try to configure it from there it will lock up too. It says it detects eth0 but I believe that may be the old bad card. It is disabled in the BIOS thought so it should not show up. Does anybody know a way to get it to run with network? I am baffled. I am a newbie at Linux but have been doing networking for years. Mostly in WiNdErZ.


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Here is a thread where I helped a person first identify the NIC, then make sure the proper driver is loaded, then configure the NIC.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86141#86141

    You will need to run each these commands into command line window:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i eth
    This will tell you what was detected on bootup.

    Code:
    lspci
    This will list all the PCI devices. Examine this list to see if there are 2 ethernet adapters listed.

    Code:
    lsmod | sort
    this will list the drivers that are loaded. The kingston NIC will use a driver named 'tulip'. I do not know what driver the on board NIC will use, so any appropriate info from the 'lspci' step would be helpful.

    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    This will list all network devices, both configured and unconfigured.

    If possible please write down any output that might be appropriate. Or if possible please snap a digital photo of the output and upload it to http://imageshack.us/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Thanks

    I will try this out and see what happens. Like I said, I am kind of new to Linux but do understand networking. That's why I want to run this thing as often as possible so I can start learning more about Linux.

    Thanks again,
    Technogeek

Similar Threads

  1. I CANT CONFIGURE WIRELESS
    By RHCA in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
  2. How to configure network??
    By thefastone in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
  3. How do I configure the proxy?
    By nathan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
  4. Need help to configure Sat Modem PCI
    By thriller in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
  5. Configure TV card
    By massai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95