I have been trying to get a DVD player to work with my installation of Knoppix 3.8. So far I have downloaded libdvdcss and installed that and now my DVDs play. But they keep dropping frames which means that the action is very slow and jerky.
I went through all the diagnositcs suggested by Xine but still couldn't get it to run properly. Then, while googling the issue, I found that someone had suggested that Totem runs better and so I tried installing that. However, my system could not find the package libhal0 and so the installation failed.
I have searched the internet for the libhal0 deb package but cannot find a valid link.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any tips on playing DVD under knoppix? Or links to good 'howto' sites?
That would be a great help.
Regards,
Alan Searle.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00