-
Will not configure NIC at all.
I have an HP here and the on board NIC was damaged by a power surge. I installed a card I had laying around (Kingston KNE100TX) and the network has been working fine since. When I boot from the CD, it will hang at the DCHP detect line and lock up. I can boot all the way to the desktop if I use the "nodhcp" option but if I try to configure it from there it will lock up too. It says it detects eth0 but I believe that may be the old bad card. It is disabled in the BIOS thought so it should not show up. Does anybody know a way to get it to run with network? I am baffled. I am a newbie at Linux but have been doing networking for years. Mostly in WiNdErZ.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here is a thread where I helped a person first identify the NIC, then make sure the proper driver is loaded, then configure the NIC.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86141#86141
You will need to run each these commands into command line window:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i eth
This will tell you what was detected on bootup.
This will list all the PCI devices. Examine this list to see if there are 2 ethernet adapters listed.
this will list the drivers that are loaded. The kingston NIC will use a driver named 'tulip'. I do not know what driver the on board NIC will use, so any appropriate info from the 'lspci' step would be helpful.
This will list all network devices, both configured and unconfigured.
If possible please write down any output that might be appropriate. Or if possible please snap a digital photo of the output and upload it to http://imageshack.us/
-
Thanks
I will try this out and see what happens. Like I said, I am kind of new to Linux but do understand networking. That's why I want to run this thing as often as possible so I can start learning more about Linux.
Thanks again,
Technogeek
Similar Threads
-
By RHCA in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
-
By thefastone in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
-
By nathan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-05-2005, 12:31 PM
-
By thriller in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
-
By massai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99