Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: rt2500 wlan driver and SMP kernel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    rt2500 wlan driver and SMP kernel

    Hi,

    I have a Ralink 2500 PCI wlan interface. The driver for this, rt2500, does not support SMP kernels. Every time I try to configure the wlan, the computer freezes hard with no error messages anywhere. I've discovered that these are the expected symptoms for this problem.

    So, how can I boot knoppix without SMP? Do I have to rebuild the kernel without SMP support? I don't think there's a nosmp parameter during boot, and I can't find a non-SMP kernel on the CD. Too bad, I think it would have been worth the 1MB of space, this is probably not the only case where SMP causes some unstability somehow, so it would be useful to disable (if it's not already possible!).

    Cheers,
    Ketil

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. The one you need is nosmp, and you will boot the PC with:
    knoppix nosmp

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have the same request but I have a HDD install... how can I then do the no smp?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    As root user, edit the /boot/grub/menu.list file.

    Find the default boot entry which is usually the first one. You may see a section like:
    Code:
    title Debian GNU/Linux
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/null bootfrom=/dev/hda1/*.iso config=scan home=scan noprompt
       initrd /boot/initrd
    You must add the nosmp to the end of that kernel line.
    Then save it & reboot.
    It should boot with nosmp by default.

Similar Threads

  1. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN Driver
    By FletchLives in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
  2. problem compiling ZD1201 USB WLAN driver
    By hyno in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.7 - Kernel 2.6.x - Netgear WLan MA521 PCMCIA
    By spoonman in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
  4. Intel Releases Linux Driver For Centrino WLAN
    By spiff1281 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
  5. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89