I've searched high and low for partitioning software that will create linux ext3 ext2 and swap partitions from a boot disk.
I take it there is a better way?![]()
I've searched high and low for partitioning software that will create linux ext3 ext2 and swap partitions from a boot disk.
I take it there is a better way?![]()
I have installed a brand new untouched HD in a system and partitioned it using Knoppix.
boot off the Knoppix CD with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab
Then when Knoppix fully loads the GUI desktop, you can run the GUI partitioner tool: qtparted
If you are comfortable with the command line, then run the command 'cfdisk /dev/hda' to partition the HD. You may have to reboot in order for the system to recognize the partition changes. Next, format the partitions with the desired filesystem.
format a ext2fs filesystem: mke2fs -v /dev/hda1
format a ext3fs filesystem: mke2fs -vj /dev/hda2
format a swap parition:mkswap /dev/hda3
James, can you tell us what the nofstab cheat code is? I've looked at the cheat codes section of the wiki but find no explination of it (the only mention of nofstab is in one example using it along with a number of other cheat codes, but no clue as to what it is intended to do).Originally Posted by UnderScore
Wonderful. Last time I installed Knoppix it was on a dual-boot system so i used Partition Magic from windows. This is just as great. Thank you.
Yes, also I could not find much information on 'nofstab'.
Sure.
By default Knoppix will look/scan the HDs to see if it contains partitions. If the HDs do have partitions, Knoppix will automatically build a '/etc/fstab' file and fill-in the appropriate partition entries and will also create the '/mnt/hdxx' mount points. The 'nofstab' cheat code prevents this look/scan and prevents the generation of the /etc/fstab and its mount points.
Reasons why someone might use 'nofstab':
*HD is brand new & no partitions. Not necessary to scan it.
*User plans to do HD/partition maintenance. Do not want /etc/fstab & mount points to be created.
*Combine 'nofstab' with 'noswap' to force Knoppix to not even touch a HD. Again useful for HD/partition maintenance but also for data recovery and forensics.
Usage of the nofstab cheat code will probably break the userfriendly desktop HD icons since they rely on the the automatic config of both fstab & the mount points.
Thanks James, good info. I'll give you time to add it to the wiki, but if you don't do it yourself, I'm going to cut and paste plagerize you and copy what you wrote above into the cheat code section.![]()
Isn't better swapping with /dev/hda1 since it's the faster![]()
Yes if you use swap space it should have better performance. But for maintenace or data forensics purposes it is necessary to disable swap acess.Originally Posted by maxIT
*Try this only on a spare HD *
Partition & format a spare HD as I suggested in the post above.
Then reboot Knoppix normally. Then attempt to add, remove, resize partitions while the swap partition is enabled. It may be successful or it could fail. The write/resize processes will attempt to change the sectors on the HD where the swap is currently active. It could work but each process will be stepping on each other sort of like 2 people trying to go through a door-way at the same time.

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$53.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1 - Tested -98% Life
$48.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00