-
running on Windows partition
Dear Guru
Knoppix rocks! But many of my friends find CDs rather sluggish, want to change to linux, but don't want to risk repartitioning (especially if they have winmodems that don't work under Linux). I think what would be even more extraordinary is if Knoppix could run on any Windows partition on the actual hard disk without any need for repartitioning (which remains a massive deterrent for people who want to make a permanent shift to Linux). Is that sort of thing possible?
K.Y.R.K.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if it's a FAT 32 partition ( NOT NTFS ) the answer is yes, check out
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo
-
Senior Member
registered user
Take a look at the discussions I've been having regarding your idea:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2021
Good Luck,
-
NTFS
Thanks A. Jorge Garcia,
Yes that might work - I'll definitely try it out sometime.
I am thinking more along the lines of an NTFS (e.g. Windows XP) system though... does that complicate procedures hugely? (I am an amateur when it comes to linux)
Even commercial-ish things like WinLinux 2003 don't even think of supporting NTFS without repartitioning - it would be great if Knoppix did.
And there remains the problem of not being to write freely to hard disk when booting the system on hard disk.
kyrk46
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry, KNOPPIX just does not play well with NTFS - due to cloop?. In fact, there's a FAQ somewhere on this site about the file systems KNOPPIX works with and there's a huge warning not to wirte to NTFS from Linux. You can read from it, but if you write to it you can cause irreparable damage!
Be Careful,
-
Senior Member
registered user
There are some distros that will let you write to NTFS by default, but the devs should be shot. As said before, writing to NTFS is VERY dangerous to the NTFS partition. I've done it before without problems, but I've also done it and needed to reformat the partition.
THe other thing to keep in mind, is the XP DOES NOT require NTFS. It is only needed for dealing with VERY large single partitions, witch are a bad idea anyway. I forget what the threashold is, but I think it's like 40GB or something. Plus, even in windows, you can just make multiple partitions and direct where you install things.
If your partitions aren't large enough to require NTFS, whitch they almost never should be, the only advantage to NTFS is a longer file name with some extra info that is only useful to uber geek power users.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
Sorry, Linux in general, not just KNOPPIX, does not play well with NTFS.
It's not Linux that's the problem it's Microsoft's file system lockout for other OS's.
-
Senior Member
registered user
KNOPPIX cannot be living on an NTFS partition, even you follow the Hdbased How to. The problem seems to be that cloop.o does not like NTFS(for whatever reason), even read only. I tried to do it and my keyboard LED blinks right after I load the cloop.o onto the file KNOPPIX sitting on NTFS(and hang). So forget it until it is fixed, either cloop or the NTFS module code.
-
-
topologilinux
Many thanks to you all for the advice - it is hugely appreciated.
The great thing about Knoppix is the huge capacity to auto-detect appliances installed in your computer and also a wide range of peripherals.
You say that Topologilinux is "easy to install" but also that it is "based on Slackware". Does that not mean therefore that Topologilinux could be a right headache as regards having to manually find and fine-tune configuration files? I have heard of Topologilinux before, and so far I haven't come across anyone who has had problems using it on NTFS, which is definitely encouraging. Having said that, it seems to be quite an unknown distribution compared to others (or am I wrong?).
If Topologilinux has Knoppix's capabilities for auto-detecting stuff, it would seriously rival Knoppix... simply because Knoppix can't run on an NTFS partition.
Similar Threads
-
By SouthernComfort in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 09:29 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 03:54 AM
-
By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 05:39 AM
-
By viggooo in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By ben- in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules
$599.00

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$8999.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99