Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: No sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6

    No sound

    I booted up in KNOPPIX from the CD-R and tried to listen to mp3 files that are on my hard drive. The audio player kicked off and LOOKED like it was playing the song, but I couldn't hear anything. I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 9100. All the hardware works in Windows.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Have you tried different settings in KMix? KMix either sits in the taskbar (loudspeaker symbol) or you can start it manually from the menu (Multimedia --> KMix).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6
    The loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar has a red X over it. When I hang the mouse over it, the pop-up message reads, "Mixer cannot be found."

    When I run Kmix, there is nothing in the drop-down box to the right of "Mixer:". It won't let me click on the arrow to the right of the drop-down box.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SPb, Russia
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bagabag
    The loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar has a red X over it. When I hang the mouse over it, the pop-up message reads, "Mixer cannot be found."

    When I run Kmix, there is nothing in the drop-down box to the right of "Mixer:". It won't let me click on the arrow to the right of the drop-down box.
    probably your sound device was not recognized, you should run recognition process in the system settings button.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6
    I'm sorry, but I guess I need more basic instructions. I simply cannot find a button called "System Settings." Could you tell me how to get there?

    I tried some other things:
    I clicked on the Knoppix button--Configure--Soundcard Configuration. This ran a text-based program called sndconfg. The opening page read: "A probe will now be performed for any PNP cards that will be automatically configured." I hit Enter for OK. The next screen read, "You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. (souncore.o was not found in the module search path) To use sndconfg, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debia GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and sound must be compiled as modules." I pressed OK and and that exited me from the sndconfg program.

    I also went into the Control Center--Sound & Multimedia--Sound System. Under the General tab I checked the box "Enable Sound System" and click the button "Apply." This still did not resolve my problem. Under the Hardware Tab the "Select the audio device" box read Autodetect.

    Under Info Center--Sound, the Sound Driver listed is 3.8.1a-980706(ALSA v1.0.8 emulation Mode)

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. Maxi Sound Muse half channels sound
    By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$689.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99