Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I use KNOPPIX cloop from compact flash (PCMCIA)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SPb, Russia
    Posts
    4

    How do I use KNOPPIX cloop from compact flash (PCMCIA)

    I read information about installing Knoppix with different methods, and was able to use Knoppix from HDD with its filesystem in CLOOP and all is okay, but now I want for cloop to be located in compact flash card.

    To say, my compact flash is perfectly recognized as PCMCIA and working okay (with ide_cs and yenta_socket modules, presumaby). All devices recognized okay.

    However my compact flash is recognized too late, so when CLOOP comes into play compact flash is not yet recognized.

    I suspect a kernel should be rebuilt with yenta and ide_cs built-in and not as a *.ko-modules, but I'm not that far with playing with a knoppix.

    It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?

    Is there a way to resolve my problem?
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?
    Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...or_Remastering

    However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SPb, Russia
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...or_Remastering
    Thanks, looks promising, I will take a look.

    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.
    Well, it is mostly experimenting: I am curious to see how it will go withouth HDD (battery life, overall speed) ; but also I am planning to use my TC1000 tablet when continuously shaking, so it is preferrable to have HDD off.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SPb, Russia
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?
    That's what I intended to check

    Yes, your reasons have many sence, I'll check it for heating...

    Howerer knoppix cloop is R/O, and, probably I'll restrict my usage of this kind to watching MPEG4, so there will be only limited write operations. (and usually will be booting normally with HDD)

    Thank you for advices!

Similar Threads

  1. cloop error with IDE compact flash drive
    By wia in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:27 AM
  3. Install to Compact Flash option like Flash Puppy
    By monckywrench in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
  4. SMC 2632W, Compact Flash, PCMCIA on IBM TP T21 47U
    By knewbex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM
  5. Knoppix 3.3 hangs inserting a PCMCIA Compact Flash
    By amontefusco in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00