Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Not detecting my USB key

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1

    Not detecting my USB key

    I have a FUJIFILM 256 MB USB stick that Knoppix will not detect. It is formatted as FAT. FC3 see's it, as does XP pro. What must I do to get Knoppix to see it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1
    im having the same problem.. my 128Mb jetflash doesent appear to have data on it.

    "lsusb" sees it, as bus 001, device 003.

    when i type "cat/proc/partitions", it gives:

    major minor #blocks
    180 0 128000 uba

    but i look in the mnt/uba directory, and there are no files..

    does anyone have any tips for a LINUX novice?

    Ted

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8

    I have the same problem.

    I have more or less the same prob.

    I put the usb memory stick in the usb port, boot up using knoppix 3.8 and it mounts the USB memory stick but doesnt let me write to it. Ive tried formating it to both FAT and FAT32 and even tried a different usb port but still same problem.

    any ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Also tried right clicking in the usb directory and selecting read/write instead of just read.

    Still no luck! ;-(

    Its a sony USB stick 128MB

    Read a post with a guy with the same prob but he dident get a reply.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Hi razta,

    you're right, the stick should work. I have a flash drive with 32 megs, which I use with Knoppix 3.8.1. Here's what I do:
    1. Plug in the flash drive.
    2. Power on the computer and boot from Knoppix cd.
    3. Right click on the drive symbol "hard disk partition uba1" and select "mount".
    4. Right click on the drive symbol again and select "actions --> change read/write mode".
    5. Left click on the drive symbol to start Konqueror.

    You should now be able to copy files to the drive.

    To get more information on the flash drive, open root shell and type

    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and
    Code:
    mount
    If the drive is writeable, mount will return the parameter "rw" for uba1.

    One final observation: Some thumb drives are protected against accidental overwriting. Maybe your drive has a small switch. Try setting it to another position.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Cheers mate! I'll give it a go when I get home! I'll post my result on here A.S.A.P

    Thanks again, razta

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8
    Worked a treat mate!!!! Where I was going is that I was opening the usb drive then right clicking, instead of right clicking on the icon!

    Thank you very much for your help,

    Razta

Similar Threads

  1. detecting 1G usb
    By mduduzi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
  2. Problems detecting PH
    By bandoba in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:38 AM
  3. Detecting Soundcard
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 09:35 PM
  4. Knoppix not detecting my cd-rom
    By angeluss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 05:59 AM
  5. Knoppix isn't detecting my HD
    By fullerton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.58