What version of Knoppix are you running? Are you you running Knoppix from the CD? Or has Knoppix been installed to the hard drive?
I use Knoppix to run a server (Yes, a server. Quit looking at me that way. o_o), and so far, my experience with it has been relatively good.
Recently, though, I've been starting to have problems with it: my /var directory has been doing strange funky things.
Like having one of the directories in it being completely unreadable.
First it was /var/mail/input, which caused ls to freeze (and the average load would skyrocket until I rebooted). And now, this:
# ls /var/spool/
Segmentation fault
# ls /var/spool/
<another freeze />
Can someone give me any indications as to why this might be happening?! It's rather unnerving.
Thanks for your time!
EDIT: Oh, and yes, I tried feeding it ^C. It's still waiting.
What version of Knoppix are you running? Are you you running Knoppix from the CD? Or has Knoppix been installed to the hard drive?
Knoppix 3.9, from "CD". It's reading the image from a drive partition. (fromhd=/dev/hda5)
HD manual/automatic mount points:
/dev/hda1 /root
/dev/hda5 /cdrom
/dev/hda6 /home
/dev/hdd1 swap
The swap drive has been tested for badblocks (but it's hardly used anyway).
Never done a poor mans install or a tohd/fromhd myself. Maybe I am wrong, but I wonder if UnionFS might be causing a problem. Knoppix 3.9 shipped with a buggy unionfs and it is generally known that Knoppix 3.9 can be unstable in regards to filesystem operations.
That may very well be it. I only started using 3.9 recently, so perhaps it's because of 3.9.
Is there any way to patch/fix it, or should I just back down to 3.8?

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1
$49.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD
$40.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99