Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: connecting linux to the internet using ICS on windows...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5

    connecting linux to the internet using ICS on windows...

    Need some help. I am running windows 2000 server with ICS. I am running knoppix 3.6 on a box. It finds the network fine. I can print to my printer on my xp box, I can read files on both boxes. I cannot connect to the internet through my windows 2000 server box with knoppix. I have DHCP running for assigning IP addresses. My windows 2000 box connects to the internet via modem. I have searched and searched and still cannot find anything to help me out.. I just want to be able to connect to the internet through my windows 2000 box with knoppix. Thanks....sorry if I sould frustrated...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Hm, ICS should work with Knoppix. Here's how I would set it up:
    1. Switch on windows machine.
    2. Enable ICS for dial-up connection.
    3. Boot second computer off Knoppix CD.
    4. Run netcardconfig and select DHCP; Knoppix machine should now obtain IP address from windows machine.
    5. Check IP addresses on windows host (e.g., 192.168.0.1) and client (e.g., 192.168.0.2) and have computers ping each other.
    5. Start browser and enter URL. This should trigger dial-up connection on windows machine.

    Troubleshooting suggestions:
    1. Start Internet connection manually on windows machine after step 2.
    2. Check firewall/security software on windows machine.
    3. ICS with W2K Professional and early edition of Windows XP is buggy (mismatch between MTU settings on host and client). Try entering URLs of different web sites. If you can see some of them while others keep loading without any progress, you have to reduce MTU size on the client.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Maybe I should mention that this is HDD install of Knoppix. I knew I would forget something. It holds the address fine. I can ping the other machines from knoppix. I can even ping the IP address assigned to me by my ISP. I just can't get to the internet with a browser. All the patches on the windows 2000 box are current. There isn't any security software installed that might affect it with connecting.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Run Knoppix from CD as I described, just to see whether it works at all. If it does, open a terminal window and type
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Write down the output for eth0 or eth1 and compare it with the output you get when you run ifconfig from your hd install.

    If you can see some sites in your browser, while others are not accessible, try lowering the MTU value for your NIC:

    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 mtu 1490
    Keep decreasing it by 10 until you can connect. If this doesn't work, restore it to the initial value (usually 1500).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Well I tried all of those, and I didn't seem to get anywhere. I can't seem to figure out the issue. It has to be something simple that I am missing.... I think. Is there any other configuration settings I can check or set. I am getting fustrated with it. I can do everything but surf the net with it through ICS. Anything else to try?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Well, it should work at least if you follow the steps that I posted previously. This setup, based on W2K Professional and Knoppix 3.7, worked for me in the past and did so again this morning.

    Anything else to try?
    There's always something else to try. Take NASA as an example.

    In Windows:
    - ICS should be enabled for your dial-up connection, not for LAN connection.
    - Run ipconfig /all. NIC must have IP address 192.168.0.1

    In Knoppix:
    - Run ifconfig: Second line of output for eth0/eth1 (whichever you use to connect to your network) must look like this:
    Code:
              inet Adresse:192.168.0.6  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Maske:255.255.255.0
    - Your etc/network/interfaces should look like this:
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Notice the last line with "dhcp" in it. This tells Knoppix to obtain an IP address from your windows server. Don't use static IP addresses!

    I hope this helps!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Huston
    I can even ping the IP address assigned to me by my ISP.
    Can you also reach other external sites? Try pinging 216.32.81.146 (www.knoppix.net). If that works, it is probably simply your /etc/resolv.conf file that is not properly configured, hence name resolution not working.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Everything checked out fine with ifconfig. ipconfig /all showed everything as fine on windows end. The etc/network/interfaces was fine too. I could ping 216.32.81.146. Still no net surfing. My etc/resolv.conf has two lines it:

    #Insert nameservers here
    #nameserver 127.0.0.1

    How do I configure this file to work with ICS, as I am not overly familiar with Linux in the first place.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Try this: Open root shell and type

    Code:
    mcedit /etc/resolv.conf
    Replace "#nameserver 127.0.0.1" with "nameserver 192.168.0.1" (or use the IP address that ipconfig /all returned for your Windows server). Press F2 to save and F10 to quit. Reboot your computer and hope for the best.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Check your DNS server address on the windows side (ipconfig /all). Copy it to an uncommented line in /etc/resolv.conf. (eg nameserver 101.102.103.104). You'll need to be root to edit this file. If you are unfamiliar with unix, I suggest you use the "mcedit" editor. BTW you should have gotten this parameter automatically just like for your dynamic IP, but hopefully that should be all you were missing. Please report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 12:38 PM
  2. connecting internet over windows LAN
    By mmeric in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 02:32 PM
  3. Connecting to the internet
    By wikid009 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM
  4. allow connecting the internet
    By P.Enguin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
  5. Problem connecting to internet (linux newbie)
    By samboy in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco N540-28Z4C-SYS-A NCS 540 28x 1/10GE,4x 100GE w/ AC Power picture

Cisco N540-28Z4C-SYS-A NCS 540 28x 1/10GE,4x 100GE w/ AC Power

$9500.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00