-
Help Compiling Modem or any other Drivers with a Live CD.
How can I compile & install SmartLink SmartPCI562 56K modem drivers, using a Knoppix 3.3 Live CD (BioKnoppix 0.2.1 beta) without a “full” Hdd or RAM installation?
I only have 256MB of RAM.
I ran ScanModem and got the latest drivers (have a bundled driver source CD too).
But “$ make” generates:
Code:
knoppix@ttyp0[slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a]$ make KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build
make -C modem all
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/modem'
rebuild profile...
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_main.o -c modem_main.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_cmdline.o -c modem_cmdline.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem.o -c modem.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_datafile.o -c modem_datafile.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_at.o -c modem_at.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_timer.o -c modem_timer.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_pack.o -c modem_pack.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_ec.o -c modem_ec.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_comp.o -c modem_comp.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_param.o -c modem_param.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_debug.o -c modem_debug.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o homolog_data.o -c homolog_data.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o dp_sinus.o -c dp_sinus.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o dp_dummy.o -c dp_dummy.c
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o sysdep_common.o -c sysdep_common.c
gcc -o slmodemd modem_main.o modem_cmdline.o modem.o modem_datafile.o modem_at.o modem_timer.o modem_pack.o modem_ec.o modem_comp.o modem_param.o modem_debug.o homolog_data.o dp_sinus.o dp_dummy.o dsplibs.o sysdep_common.o
gcc -Wall -g -O -I. -DCONFIG_DEBUG_MODEM -o modem_test.o -c modem_test.c
gcc -o modem_test modem_test.o modem_cmdline.o modem.o modem_datafile.o modem_at.o modem_timer.o modem_pack.o modem_ec.o modem_comp.o modem_param.o modem_debug.o homolog_data.o dp_sinus.o dp_dummy.o dsplibs.o sysdep_common.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/modem'
make -C drivers KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/drivers'
cc -I/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include -o kernel-ver kernel-ver.c
make all KERNEL_VER=2.4.22-xfs
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/drivers'
cc -Wall -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS --include /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/modversions.h -I/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include -I. -I./../modem -o amrmo_init.o -c amrmo_init.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/capability.h:17,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/sched.h:9,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/mm.h:4,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/slab.h:14,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/pci.h:37,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/pci.h:654,
from amrmo_init.c:50:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:15:23: /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/net.h: Input/output error
In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/semaphore.h:39,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:202,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/capability.h:17,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/sched.h:9,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/mm.h:4,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/slab.h:14,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/pci.h:37,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/pci.h:654,
from amrmo_init.c:50:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/system.h: In function `__set_64bit_var':
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/system.h:190: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/system.h:190: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:324:28: /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/ncp_fs_i.h: Input/output error
In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/capability.h:17,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/sched.h:9,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/mm.h:4,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/slab.h:14,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/pci.h:37,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/pci.h:654,
from amrmo_init.c:50:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h: At top level:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:519: error: field `ncpfs_i' has incomplete type
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:521: error: field `socket_i' has incomplete type
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:734:29: /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/ncp_fs_sb.h: Input/output error
In file included from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/capability.h:17,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/sched.h:9,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/mm.h:4,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/slab.h:14,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/asm/pci.h:37,
from /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/pci.h:654,
from amrmo_init.c:50:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:793: error: field `ncpfs_sb' has incomplete type
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:877: warning: `struct iovec' declared inside parameter list
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:877: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/build/include/linux/fs.h:878: warning: `struct iovec' declared inside parameter list
make[2]: *** [amrmo_init.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb1/slmodem-2.9.9e-pre1a/drivers'
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
$cat /lib/modules/…/net.h” generates an Input/Output error.
Since the kernel was compiled with gcc-2.95.4, but “/usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-3.3” I expected problems.
gcc-2.95.4 is available but I cannot change the link (it’s read-only).
If I somehow manage to change the /usr/bin/gcc link to gcc-2.95.4, should I also change the /usr/bin/cpp link to /usr/bin/cpp-2.95.4 too?
Is there away I can go around that? Like modifying the "Makefile" to point to gcc-2.95.4 or using a 512MB USB key?
Is this even the cause of the errors?
If I manage to compile the drivers how do I install them each time I boot with the Live CD?
Thanks in advance.
------------ -------------- System information ------------------------
Debian GNU/LINUX on System with processor: i686
currently under kernel: 2.4.22-xfs
The kernel was assembled with compiler: 2.95.4
with current System compiler GCC=3.3.2
/usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-3.3
RAM: 256MB
Similar Threads
-
By bucz in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
-
By dvdljns in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2006, 08:20 PM
-
By akblly in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:51 AM
-
By fdellamorte in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By count_nikon in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-23-2002, 01:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Qotom Q335G4 Fanless Firewall 4x Intel LAN i3-5005U AES-NI 8GB WiFi pfSense
$129.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99