Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: DHCP and Masqdialer setup for a newbie

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6

    DHCP and Masqdialer setup for a newbie

    I'm brand new to Knoppix (and all things Linux). Everything seems to boot just fine from the CD-R on my Dell Inspiron 9100. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

    1) I'm seemingly not connecting to the Internet through my network. Our network has a Masqdialer server to enable Internet connections, and we run WinMasqdialer to connect our Windows desktops. Is there a Knoppix equivalent? Does it come packaged with Knoppix, or do I have to download another program? (I also have to designate a proxy server in order to get on with my browser, but that's a different address than the Masqdialer server.)

    2) Is the Knoppix configuration set to automatically grab an IP address from my network's DHCP server? I really don't want to do anything to foul up the existing network setup. My IT guy might kill me if I use an IP address assigned to someone else.

    3) On a related subject, Knoppix isn't acting as a DHCP server by default, is it? I already had my hand slapped for setting up a wireless router that was passing out IP addresses (in the wrong address range) and fouling up the network. I want to get Knoppix running correctly and then show it off to my IT guy: "Look how cool this is!" I don't want an angry phone call: "What in the world are you doing?!"

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6
    I taught myself some more about Knoppix and answered some of my own questions. I was able to view the IP address assigned to my network card (eth0), and I can see that it was assigned by the DHCP server. So all is well regarding my original question #2.

    I assume that Knoppix is NOT handing out IP addresses, and that was just a little paranoia. So you can (probably) disregard question #3.

    So all I really need to know how to do is access the internet from Knoppix via the network's Masqdialer server. I can browse the machines and their shared folders through Samba Network Neighborhood, so my machine is successfully talking to other computers on the network.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I had never heard of masqdialer, but a quick Google search quickly found this page. There certainly is a Debian package. It might work with Knoppix, but Knoppix being a live CD there could be some issues and if you are expecting to install something to hard disk I would suggest just installing Debian rather than Knoppix. AFAIK there is no support for masqdialer in Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6
    The Debian package instructions on the site linked by Harry mentions editing the sources.list file by adding a specific line command. I did that and saved my changes, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to do anything.

    I also tried installing GMasqdialer and KMasqdialer. Neither of them installed properly.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet setup for a newbie
    By zkeeper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 12:17 AM
  2. newbie needs help with wireless internet setup
    By zx2max in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
  3. newbie - network setup, wireless connection help
    By jcalvert in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
  4. newbie dhcp stealth problems
    By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 03:25 PM
  5. Newbie question: Network setup
    By ShonenFan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard picture

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard

$38.99



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun picture

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun

$64.35



BOC Edwards EXT70 B722-05-000 G1946-80002 Turbomolecular Vacuum Pump ISO63 picture

BOC Edwards EXT70 B722-05-000 G1946-80002 Turbomolecular Vacuum Pump ISO63

$100.00



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$106.14



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99