Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
Quote Originally Posted by thejonreally
Ok this applies to Knoppix 3.6, I'm still trying to work out where the heck Captive is on 3.9 (it IS there right guys ?? you wouldnt drop Read/Write ntfs support surely ???).
Captive NTFS has been removed from recent versions. Development of captive ntfs stalled and at the last time I checked, it had not been updated in a year. Since it interfaces with the kernel level filesystem drivers, it needs to be kept up to date. That and from the many problems reports, it seems to have never been reliable.
Interesting, I have never had a single problem with the version I am using with Knoppix 3.6, but then I have never tried to use it as a permanent drive mount. It works fine for recovering work and re-writing files. Also anything to do with Windoze is notorious for the 'Two Worlds' problem - half the people get no problems at all while the other half can't ever get it to work.

This is worrying, the future is looking like we'll have to go with something like vmware and SMB mount ext3 drives because nobody will be able to read and write NTFS volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers but are just community volunteers. You could ask the developers about inclusion of captive ntfs at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws.
Thanks for that, I'm a little puzzled by the focus of these forums but I have just subscribed to that mailing list, so cheers.

Jon