Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: No permission to make device writeable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    No permission to make device writeable

    The othere day I used the liveCD 3.9 to boot into an xp-sp2 with a couple of viruses on the disk.
    I have used Knoppix in the past to make an internal IDE HDD and external usb-HDD writable after setting the "action" to writable, however, the other day I had a different problem with knoppix where after I tried to make the drive writable by right clicking the drive as I have in the past and changing the "action", it gave me an error message, ( I can't remember what it was, but I did googleit and to get around it, I would have to run some "utility" in knoppix that was not inlcluded in version 3.9 of knoppix, although it was included in version 3.7 which I never used to remove the viruses because I used something else.
    My question is how can I make the disk writeable using version 3.9 of the liveCD?
    Maybe I should go back and write the message down, which I will if noone knows what Im talking about.
    Oh I also tried to set the permessions on the specific file to write on all groups/users, but nothinug, probably becase of the inheritance of the permission for the disk.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Writing to a disk depends on the filesystem of that disk. Is it FAT32, if so then there are no issues with it.
    Is it using NTFS? If so then you will have great difficulties and could possibly scamble the existsing files by writing to that disk. This is why is may prevent you from enabling write access. CaptiveNTFS was a wrapper driver. It used the Windows NTFS drivers to let Linux write to a NTFS drive. It was reported to be not so stable & quite slow. Development of CaptiveNTFS had stalled for about a year so it has not been included on a Knoppix disk since December. I recently read rumors of new work on captiventfs but I can not say if they are true. If CaptiveNTFS is what you want then LiveCD distros like Helix or Whax may include CaptiveNTFS on it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, you hit it right on the nose, it was about captiveNTFS, and I read a few articles about it. The system was an NTFS file system.
    So I guess I can't use knoppix 3.9 to write to an NTFS disk so I will check out the other two live cds and read more about "captiveNTFS".

    Many thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Make hard disk writeable?
    By Pyromaster114 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
  2. how to make hd writeable on kx 3.8.1
    By cli168 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 07:07 AM
  3. Set a CD directory like it was writeable
    By shanghai in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 09:34 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
  5. services writeable
    By schwuuf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


πŸ”€ Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12Γ— Gigabit PoE+ β€’ 2Γ— 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚑ picture

πŸ”€ Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12Γ— Gigabit PoE+ β€’ 2Γ— 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚑

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$345.97



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$164.98



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed picture

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed

$466.65