Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: what am I running?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    what am I running?

    i installed knoppix 3.2 on my hd.

    so it's now Debian.

    but i can't find what version it is.
    i know that i got kernel 2.4.20-xfs
    but what version of debian am i running now?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You're running a mix of stable, unstable, and testing. Knoppix draws from several different sources. You will want to have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list for more details.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12
    In addition to this question, what steps are needed to be taken to keep the HD installed version current with debian testing, stable or unstable?

    What sources need to be present in apt/sources.list and what version needs to be listed in apt.conf?

    For example, if we wanted to keep our systen updated as testing, what changes need to be made?

    Also, what are the chances that something will break if updated? I love the Alsa being built in...will that break if I update the system? Or do I have to compile a new kernel to break Alsa?

    GregC

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    look at /etc/debian_version

    Knoppix is (was, should be) - testing/unstable

    knoppix actually has sources.list entries for stable, testing and unstable.

    HTH

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    talking about sources.list....

    is there a place where i can get a 'new' sources.list

    i've ben editing it...
    apt-get gives me 404 errors.

    but now my floppy, where i put backups, is unreadable (cheap quality)

    so i'm really in the need of sources.list

    I want to do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
    but it won't work when the servers return 404 not found

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12
    What I was getting at is this...I know knoppix is a mix of testing/stable/etc...but what if I want it to JUST be stable or testing?

    This way I can keep current with that particular branch of debian. Right now, it's pulling from different sources, and I'm having a hard time installing programs as I want them. For example:

    I apt-get install Gkrellm2...I see it download Gkrellm2 and Gkrellm. Cool I think...it installs Gkrellm then gkrellm2. BUT, only Gkrellm is available. Why is that? I want to use gkrellm2, but gkrellm installs only 1.2x. I want to use the plugins for 2.x, but only have 1.2 available. 2.x is in kpackage, as installed, but where it is, who knows?

    GregC

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12
    regarding the apt sources list, you can edit it by hand.

    What I do is as "apt-get update"...then watch the error messages. It will tell you which server has an error. Then use your editor to correct the mistake or comment it out.

    Then update again and see if the error is still there.

    GregC

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    i got sources.list fixed.

    splited the 'main contrib non-free' to lines and started looking.

    when i found fetch errors i knew that the dirctory wasn't good.
    changed it and it started working.

    and now it's all working

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGC
    What I was getting at is this...I know knoppix is a mix of testing/stable/etc...but what if I want it to JUST be stable or testing?
    Then just comment out what you don't want to upgrade. I only upgrade security & testing myself. Usually I just go to Debian and get the .deb and install it myself if I need something from another branch but that's just my preference.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    what version needs to be listed in apt.conf?
    apt-conf should be set to testing as default. So unless a package is installed from unstable and only available in unstable, apt-get will get the package from testing, if you get dependency errors etc. then you should try using:

    apt-get -t unstable install *package-name

    which will get the package from unstable instead of testing.


    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Running Lyx 1.3.4
    By Rob_S in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM
  2. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  3. Running Firebird
    By Bjarne.Olsen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 12:39 PM
  4. Running without HD
    By Levon in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 01:13 AM
  5. Possible?: running only from the ram?
    By dvessey in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2003, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99