Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: eth0 not working after 'fixing' loopback

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45

    eth0 not working after 'fixing' loopback

    I have knoppix 3.9 installed and had some problems with lo configuring. I was able to fix per the documented bug here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 (#15)

    After rebooting if I perform ifconfig -a, my loopback is set up as it should 127.0.0.1, but now I cannot connect to my DSL.

    In the past, I always had to type in pump -i eth0
    and my connection to the internet would work.

    Now I get a "failed operation" when I do that. I have also tried ifup eth0, and it reports back that it is an 'unknown' device.

    Im lost as to what to do now, to get eth0 configured so that I can use my DSL.

    Any pointers?

    Thanks

    Jerry

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    Well, I rebooted several times, and for some reason I was able to use

    pump -i eth1

    and it worked.

    eth0 did not work, I tried to ifconfig eth0 down, and then up again.

    Not sure how to have eth1 configured on startup without doing pump.

    Thanks

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    So you have 2 ethernet devices? Have you inspected/changed the /etcnetwirk/interfaces file at all?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I only have 1 ethernet device (network card), I didn't know what to change, to just show 1.

    I did take your cue and look into /etc/network/interfaces file, and this is what I have:

    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Where else could I look to see about fixing this so I only have the 1 ethernet device?

    Thanks for your help again UnderScore!


    Jerry

Similar Threads

  1. loopback device not started
    By Lucardus in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
  2. compresed loopback filesystem trobles
    By e1000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 06:31 AM
  3. RE:Serial Port loopback test
    By chummers in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 05:34 PM
  4. pump -i eth0 and netcardconfig not working
    By qman_txun in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
  5. Mounting a Loopback image
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install picture

Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install

$174.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



Alta Labs Route10 10Gbps Router Firewall 2x SFP+ 4x 2.5GbE 2x PoE+ picture

Alta Labs Route10 10Gbps Router Firewall 2x SFP+ 4x 2.5GbE 2x PoE+

$174.99