Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: eth0 not working after 'fixing' loopback

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45

    eth0 not working after 'fixing' loopback

    I have knoppix 3.9 installed and had some problems with lo configuring. I was able to fix per the documented bug here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 (#15)

    After rebooting if I perform ifconfig -a, my loopback is set up as it should 127.0.0.1, but now I cannot connect to my DSL.

    In the past, I always had to type in pump -i eth0
    and my connection to the internet would work.

    Now I get a "failed operation" when I do that. I have also tried ifup eth0, and it reports back that it is an 'unknown' device.

    Im lost as to what to do now, to get eth0 configured so that I can use my DSL.

    Any pointers?

    Thanks

    Jerry

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    Well, I rebooted several times, and for some reason I was able to use

    pump -i eth1

    and it worked.

    eth0 did not work, I tried to ifconfig eth0 down, and then up again.

    Not sure how to have eth1 configured on startup without doing pump.

    Thanks

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    So you have 2 ethernet devices? Have you inspected/changed the /etcnetwirk/interfaces file at all?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I only have 1 ethernet device (network card), I didn't know what to change, to just show 1.

    I did take your cue and look into /etc/network/interfaces file, and this is what I have:

    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    Where else could I look to see about fixing this so I only have the 1 ethernet device?

    Thanks for your help again UnderScore!


    Jerry

Similar Threads

  1. loopback device not started
    By Lucardus in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 04:10 PM
  2. compresed loopback filesystem trobles
    By e1000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 06:31 AM
  3. RE:Serial Port loopback test
    By chummers in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 05:34 PM
  4. pump -i eth0 and netcardconfig not working
    By qman_txun in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
  5. Mounting a Loopback image
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box picture

Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box

$80.00



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k With Original Box picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k With Original Box

$525.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29