Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Installing on USB Harddisk -> help anyone?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by James419
    I have not thied to install Knoppix but have installed Debian Sarge- I need to do some work with the boot as I get a kernel panic on boot up still.

    ...

    Many distributions will not easily boot from USB- I have gotten many kernek panic messages trying.
    Many distros do not boot from USB easily because your system will attempt to mount the root filesystem before the USB device in which the real root filesystem is located. As the USB device cannot be recognized, the mounting will fail and lead to kernel panic.

    See the steps I posted here, the magic is to build the right initrd before your system can boot. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20961

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    James,

    do you have the step by step instructions for making the mandrake 10.1 usb device?

    i just bought the mandriva flash key (it hasnt arrived yet) but would LOVE to have hat on a 120gb usb hd.

    if you have them or knw the location i'd love an email.

    thanks

    j

    E-mail address removed by moderator to prevent spammer harvesting. Contact by this site's Private Message feature if private communication is needed. Please don't feed the spammers.



    quote="James419"]I am using both PCLinuxOS 8 and Mandriva (Mandrake) 10.1 on external USB hard drives. My drives are USB 2.0 and I think that USB 1.1 would be a problem. Mandriva even sell a USB hard drive with Mandriva 10.1 preinstalled. It includes both a floppy and cd bootdisk for systems that can not boot for USB drives. The Mandriva 10.1 Offical installation lets you make these two disks if wanted.

    I use the USB drives as I wish to try and learn about linux without having my wife complain that she does not have Windows for her use. I have set my system to boot from USB first- the only thing is I have to remember to either cut off or remove my USB drives to boot to the ide drive.

    I have not thied to install Knoppix but have installed Debian Sarge- I need to do some work with the boot as I get a kernel panic on boot up still.

    I also have booted Win 98 from a Iomegs Zip 250 USB drive on my computer.

    System- Dell Dimension 3000, P4, 512MB memory, 80GB Windows ide drive, 2 external 80GB linux drives and a 15GB external USB drive with Mandriva 10.1.

    Many distributions will not easily boot from USB- I have gotten many kernek panic messages trying.

    Jim
    (also new to linux- less than 4 months trying)[/quote]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. USB Harddisk
    By chessweb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
  2. Cannot boot from new harddisk
    By GblubbR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
  3. Is there a way to run knoppix from the harddisk with out ...
    By Dobez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
  4. Installing Knoppix Onto Second Harddisk
    By Pix21 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 03:15 PM
  5. USB harddisk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked picture

Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked

$280.00



AMD Ryzen 5 7600X3D 6-Core 4.1GHz AM5 Desktop Processor CPU Chip Only picture

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X3D 6-Core 4.1GHz AM5 Desktop Processor CPU Chip Only

$179.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6-core 12-thread 3.8 GHz base clock AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6-core 12-thread 3.8 GHz base clock AM4 CPU Processor

$65.00



Intel Core I7-13700KF Processor picture

Intel Core I7-13700KF Processor

$274.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99