Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Time problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21

    Time problems

    I intalled Knoppix on my harddrive and its great. I have a few problems though and maybe someone can help me out.

    1. Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.

    2. I can use the CD Player as root but if I try as knoppix user I get the message: CD ROM read or access error. Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom.

    I've only been using Linux for 4 days so sorry if this are stupid questions.

    Tovi

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
    That's almost always a system/hardware problem. You may have a bad CMOS battery (the battery used to hold system settings and run the clock). Does it read the time correctly under Windows?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21
    Yes it does. This only started happening under Linux.

    Tovi

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    I intalled Knoppix on my harddrive and its great. I have a few problems though and maybe someone can help me out.

    1. Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.

    2. I can use the CD Player as root but if I try as knoppix user I get the message: CD ROM read or access error. Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom.

    I've only been using Linux for 4 days so sorry if this are stupid questions.

    Tovi
    Open a root console adduser < user name > cdrom to get access to cdrom by adding your user to the group.
    [edit]Add yourself to the floppy group too if you want to write to the floppy.[/edit]

    Your system probably has the time on your clock set to CET (central european time) change the time zone to your zone. Right click on the clock in the system tray to change.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    38

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Loper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
    That's almost always a system/hardware problem. You may have a bad CMOS battery (the battery used to hold system settings and run the clock). Does it read the time correctly under Windows?
    Nope this problem also appears on my system. My hardware clock is set to gmt, however even if I set a root password and go into kde and change to my time zone (cst/cdt) the hours are way off (even after syncing with a time server). However if I reboot into Mandrake the time is correct again.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
    I've also seen this problem on some of my debian systems, I don't think I've seen it with Libranet though, although I don't dual boot much anymore so maybe that's why.

    rock

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    38

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    I intalled Knoppix on my harddrive and its great. I have a few problems though and maybe someone can help me out.

    1. Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.

    2. I can use the CD Player as root but if I try as knoppix user I get the message: CD ROM read or access error. Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom.

    I've only been using Linux for 4 days so sorry if this are stupid questions.

    Tovi
    Open a root console adduser < user name > cdrom to get access to cdrom by adding your user to the group.
    [edit]Add yourself to the floppy group too if you want to write to the floppy.[/edit]

    Your system probably has the time on your clock set to CET (central european time) change the time zone to your zone. Right click on the clock in the system tray to change.
    two problems with the above approach:

    one: knoppix should already have access to cdrom and floppy (although one would have to have 2 cdrom drives for this to be a real issue I would think)

    two: You would have to set a root password before you can change the time via the kde taskbar (open a root console and type: "sudo passwd" (without quotes) then enter the root password you want.). Then you would need to kill the kicker process ("ctrl + esc" will bring up the kde task manager) and then rerun kicker ("alt + F2" will bring up a command line and then type "kicker") for the proper time change to be seen on the taskbar. I am also uncertain as to if it will be saved after "save Knoppix configuration" has been run. I don't believe that it is (although the root password will be saved).

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by sireasoning
    two problems with the above approach:

    one: knoppix should already have access to cdrom and floppy (although one would have to have 2 cdrom drives for this to be a real issue I would think)

    two: You would have to set a root password before you can change the time via the kde taskbar (open a root console and type: "sudo passwd" (without quotes) then enter the root password you want.). Then you would need to kill the kicker process ("ctrl + esc" will bring up the kde task manager) and then rerun kicker ("alt + F2" will bring up a command line and then type "kicker") for the proper time change to be seen on the taskbar. I am also uncertain as to if it will be saved after "save Knoppix configuration" has been run. I don't believe that it is (although the root password will be saved).
    One problem with your approach is that he has installed to the Hard Drive and Knoppix then becomes standard Debian. If you want to access the cdrom you have to belong to that group, audio the same and so on for other devices unless you do like I did on my first install and you change a lot of permissions from what they are set too, I have since found the "Debian" way of setting up the system and it works well.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    38

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by sireasoning
    two problems with the above approach:

    one: knoppix should already have access to cdrom and floppy (although one would have to have 2 cdrom drives for this to be a real issue I would think)

    two: You would have to set a root password before you can change the time via the kde taskbar (open a root console and type: "sudo passwd" (without quotes) then enter the root password you want.). Then you would need to kill the kicker process ("ctrl + esc" will bring up the kde task manager) and then rerun kicker ("alt + F2" will bring up a command line and then type "kicker") for the proper time change to be seen on the taskbar. I am also uncertain as to if it will be saved after "save Knoppix configuration" has been run. I don't believe that it is (although the root password will be saved).
    One problem with your approach is that he has installed to the Hard Drive and Knoppix then becomes standard Debian. If you want to access the cdrom you have to belong to that group, audio the same and so on for other devices unless you do like I did on my first install and you change a lot of permissions from what they are set too, I have since found the "Debian" way of setting up the system and it works well.
    oops... didn't catch that. For future reference, there is a seperate forum for install to hard drive issues.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Rock makes a good point about dual booting. I suspect this is where your problem lies. You actually have 2 clocks to maintain, the CMOS or 'hardware' clock (battery powered) and the OS or 'system' clock which dies every time you reboot right? Then when you boot again the hardware clock resets the system clock.

    In Linux you can set the clock to UTC/GMT time OR your own local time zone. If set to UTC/GMT then daylight savings will be adjusted automagically. Unfortunately DOS is not as smart as Linux (tell you something else you didn't know eh?)and can only think in local time which is what creates these time discrepancies. So I would set your Linux clock to Local time if you are dual booting windows. That should clear things up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time zone problems in X
    By ccaaee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
  2. First time user with problems
    By Marky in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 09:54 AM
  3. TIME OF THE YEAR!
    By Ritchie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
  4. TV time !
    By mihai in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
  5. Clock Time
    By LordHarshmage in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM picture

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB) picture

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB)

$180.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00