Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Time problems

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21
    Well, it's not only the time that is reset, it's also the date. Whenever I reboot the time is 12:00 and the date is 01/01/88.

    Sorry for not posting this in the Hdd Install section. I will next time. I didn't think it would be any different.

    Thanks
    Tovi

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    Well, it's not only the time that is reset, it's also the date. Whenever I reboot the time is 12:00 and the date is 01/01/88.
    You mean to tell me that it ISN'T 1988 any more?? (where have I been?)

    On a serious note, if your clock ALWAYS resets to 12:00 it would appear that your CMOS is getting reset. After this happens do you go into your BIOS and set the correct time? And if so when you reboot does it screw the time up again?

    I'm not certain but I think it would be worth your time to replace the CMOS battery even though it works correctly in other OS's. Batteries are strange things sometimes but fortunately they are cheap.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    Well, it's not only the time that is reset, it's also the date. Whenever I reboot the time is 12:00 and the date is 01/01/88.
    That is a cmos problem as was suggested above then, either the battery is dead or more likely a bad cmos, I have one computer here with a dead battery and as long as it is plugged in it keeps the settings if it is unplugged then I have to re-enter. Do you get any bad cmos errors on boot.

    Sorry for not posting this in the Hdd Install section. I will next time. I didn't think it would be any different.
    More of a hardware question really.

    [edit]Have you added yourself to the cdrom group to see if that eliminates the cdrom problems?[/edit]

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Time problems

    Quote Originally Posted by sireasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Loper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
    That's almost always a system/hardware problem. You may have a bad CMOS battery (the battery used to hold system settings and run the clock). Does it read the time correctly under Windows?
    Nope this problem also appears on my system. My hardware clock is set to gmt, however even if I set a root password and go into kde and change to my time zone (cst/cdt) the hours are way off (even after syncing with a time server). However if I reboot into Mandrake the time is correct again.
    You should have booted Knoppix with " knoppix gmt" if your hardware clock is GMT...
    See the CheatCodes.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21
    I can listen to CDs, thanks but...

    if I put a music CD-ROM in I can listen to it fine now, but I cant browse it's contents or a floppy's. Where do I do this? Do I need to mount it? On the root directory I can see a floppy and cdrom directory but when I go into them, there's nothing in them. On the mnt directory I have a hda1 and hda2.

    Thanks all again
    Tovi

    PS. I will shut down my laptop and leave it plugged to see if the battery settings remain.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    if I put a music CD-ROM in I can listen to it fine now, but I cant browse it's contents
    You cannot browse a music cd as it doesn't have any "data" on it.

    as far as your KDE floppy icon, do a search here, I just posted how to make a proper floppy icon for a hd install.

    rock

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovi
    I can listen to CDs, thanks but...

    if I put a music CD-ROM in I can listen to it fine now, but I cant browse it's contents or a floppy's. Where do I do this? Do I need to mount it? On the root directory I can see a floppy and cdrom directory but when I go into them, there's nothing in them. On the mnt directory I have a hda1 and hda2.

    Thanks all again
    Tovi

    PS. I will shut down my laptop and leave it plugged to see if the battery settings remain.
    Create a link to them on the desktop and they will be auto-mounted when you click on them. Don't forget to right click and umnount them when your done using them.

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21
    UPDATE ON TIME PROBLEMS

    I shut down my laptop and turned it back on, without unplugging it, and the time and date where reset anyway. I think it's safe to assume that it's not the CMOS battery and on boot up Linux is somehow resetting this to 12:09 (to be speficic) and 01/01/88. Any ideas?

    Tovi

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    if I put a music CD-ROM in I can listen to it fine now, but I cant browse it's contents
    You cannot browse a music cd as it doesn't have any "data" on it.

    as far as your KDE floppy icon, do a search here, I just posted how to make a proper floppy icon for a hd install.

    rock
    Thanks.... I created an icon to the floppy and the cd-rom and they work great.

    Now, anyone got anymore ideas on why the time is all screwed up?

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Actualy you can browse an audio CD's contents (in windows) because MS created a "kludge" filesystem hack for Explorer. There might be something on sourceforge or freshmeat that enables you to do this in Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    if I put a music CD-ROM in I can listen to it fine now, but I cant browse it's contents
    You cannot browse a music cd as it doesn't have any "data" on it.

    as far as your KDE floppy icon, do a search here, I just posted how to make a proper floppy icon for a hd install.

    rock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time zone problems in X
    By ccaaee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
  2. First time user with problems
    By Marky in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 09:54 AM
  3. TIME OF THE YEAR!
    By Ritchie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
  4. TV time !
    By mihai in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
  5. Clock Time
    By LordHarshmage in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial picture

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial

$319.00