That's almost always a system/hardware problem. You may have a bad CMOS battery (the battery used to hold system settings and run the clock). Does it read the time correctly under Windows?Originally Posted by Tovi
I intalled Knoppix on my harddrive and its great. I have a few problems though and maybe someone can help me out.
1. Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
2. I can use the CD Player as root but if I try as knoppix user I get the message: CD ROM read or access error. Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom.
I've only been using Linux for 4 days so sorry if this are stupid questions.
Tovi
That's almost always a system/hardware problem. You may have a bad CMOS battery (the battery used to hold system settings and run the clock). Does it read the time correctly under Windows?Originally Posted by Tovi
Yes it does. This only started happening under Linux.
Tovi
Open a root console adduser < user name > cdrom to get access to cdrom by adding your user to the group.Originally Posted by Tovi
[edit]Add yourself to the floppy group too if you want to write to the floppy.[/edit]
Your system probably has the time on your clock set to CET (central european time) change the time zone to your zone. Right click on the clock in the system tray to change.
Nope this problem also appears on my system. My hardware clock is set to gmt, however even if I set a root password and go into kde and change to my time zone (cst/cdt) the hours are way off (even after syncing with a time server). However if I reboot into Mandrake the time is correct again.Originally Posted by Loper
I've also seen this problem on some of my debian systems, I don't think I've seen it with Libranet though, although I don't dual boot much anymore so maybe that's why.Everytime I turn on the computer and log on I have to set up the time and date. It's not being saved.
rock
two problems with the above approach:Originally Posted by Stephen
one: knoppix should already have access to cdrom and floppy (although one would have to have 2 cdrom drives for this to be a real issue I would think)
two: You would have to set a root password before you can change the time via the kde taskbar (open a root console and type: "sudo passwd" (without quotes) then enter the root password you want.). Then you would need to kill the kicker process ("ctrl + esc" will bring up the kde task manager) and then rerun kicker ("alt + F2" will bring up a command line and then type "kicker") for the proper time change to be seen on the taskbar. I am also uncertain as to if it will be saved after "save Knoppix configuration" has been run. I don't believe that it is (although the root password will be saved).
One problem with your approach is that he has installed to the Hard Drive and Knoppix then becomes standard Debian. If you want to access the cdrom you have to belong to that group, audio the same and so on for other devices unless you do like I did on my first install and you change a lot of permissions from what they are set too, I have since found the "Debian" way of setting up the system and it works well.Originally Posted by sireasoning
oops... didn't catch that. For future reference, there is a seperate forum for install to hard drive issues.Originally Posted by Stephen
Rock makes a good point about dual booting. I suspect this is where your problem lies. You actually have 2 clocks to maintain, the CMOS or 'hardware' clock (battery powered) and the OS or 'system' clock which dies every time you reboot right? Then when you boot again the hardware clock resets the system clock.
In Linux you can set the clock to UTC/GMT time OR your own local time zone. If set to UTC/GMT then daylight savings will be adjusted automagically. Unfortunately DOS is not as smart as Linux (tell you something else you didn't know eh?)and can only think in local time which is what creates these time discrepancies. So I would set your Linux clock to Local time if you are dual booting windows. That should clear things up.

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Software - Ultimate Flight Pack, Ultima Online, School House Rock Mac PC
$33.00
Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS
$100.00
Apple Extended Keyboard II Vintage Keyboard with Original Box & Cable
$110.00
Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99