-
Re-Mastering Knoppix v 3.9 Help
Hi,
I am a newbie at this..so trying my hand at remastering Knoppix 3.9.
My first question is I just read that odd numbered versions are for developers and are not stable. So, should I go for v 3.8 or is v 3.9 a good choice.
My second question is that I read articles relating to Re-mastering knoppix on this site, but they are for previous versions of knoppix. I couldnt get my system to boot from an emulated version of the CD on my hard disk. So, I tried the command, knoppix -installer and I configured my installation as the third option (Knoppix System like from CD). Is this the same as trying to emaulate a knoppix CD to hard drive.
I got my knoppix installed with the help knoppix - installer. I was just wondering, can I customize this knoppix, I mean remove softwares and add regional lang support ..and then burn it out as a live CD. Is this possible.
-
Senior Member
registered user
odd numbered versions are for developers and are not stable.
This is not true for Knoppix. Odd number releases are not just for developers or testing. There is no special relationship between odd or even number releases. Knoppix 3.8.2 is more stable than 3.9. If you intend to remaster, then you should choose 3.8.2.
Is this the same as trying to emaulate a knoppix CD to hard drive.
Similar but not the same. The knoppix-installer makes some changes to the system so it behaves _like_ a CD but is not the same as a CD.
I got my knoppix installed with the help knoppix - installer. I was just wondering, can I customize this knoppix, I mean remove softwares and add regional lang support ..and then burn it out as a live CD. Is this possible.
It is possible but can be very difficult. The remastering HOWTOs & guides do not require you to install Knoppix to the HD as if it were a normal distribution. They only require a total of 1.5GB of RAM (real RAM + swap space) and about 3GB of free space on a Linux partition. You should probably read through the HowTo that I wrote http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867 which covers the requirements for remastering.
-
Thanks, I did read your HOW-To. Its very informative. I'll post here if i run into more problems
-
hi, first of all thanks for that awsum How-to.
There are couple of issues I am facing. I'll be glad if you could help.
First, When I enter my chroot environment, I cant see anything I type. I am typing blind. Is that supposed to happen???
Second, startx does not start KDE here. It just halts. I will mention here that I always use the knoppix xmodule=fbdev cheat code to get my knoppix started. I tried that option also, knoppix 2 vga=normal xmodule=fbdev. No luck. So, I am stuck.
Another thing, while I am able to connect and download the remastering scripts using wget, nothing seems to happen on apt-get update command. It just sits there.
When I try to remove packages using apt-get remove , the system displays a message, do you want to continue [Y/n]. I press 'Y" and again ...guess what..nothing happens. Is this suppose to happen, I mean does it take time to remove packages or am I not being patient enough.
Oh Yes, I also get a device busy message when I run the swapon command
If you think the above problems are newbie problems, just give me the links where I can study about it and fix it myself.
Appreciate your speedy responses and your help along with ur How-To,.
Thanks ...
Similar Threads
-
By willbrown in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
-
By jdenisgiguere in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 03:47 AM
-
By Raj in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM
$30.00

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00