Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: No Sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4

    No Sound

    need help, am a newbie to Linux/Knoppix

    Am booting from the Live Knoppix Cd and the message in the boot up screen says something like 'not able to load Via82cxxx_au
    I am using a mother board with an AMD 64 processor and a VIA K8M800-CE + VT8237R Chipset with onboard audio - this works fine in Windows XP BTW.

    I tried starting up the Sound Server and it says 'device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)'

    Am unable to capture the message during boot up - don't know how.

    any help is much appreciated . . .

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4

    No Sound - Update

    I tried running the KNOPPIX > Configure > Sound Card Configuration
    and got the following message

    - a PCI sound card was found on your system model:VIA Technologies VT8233[AC97 Audio Controller]
    the application tries to pay a sample sound and on hitting the OK button,

    the message pops up as follows

    the following error occurred running the modprobe program:
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.0:init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.0:init_module: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.0:init_module: failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.0:init_module: insmod sound-slot-0 failed

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    What version of Knoppix are you running?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4

    No Sound

    Am running Knoppix 3.1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Your Knoppix 3.1 version (released 2003/01/19) is too old to run properly on the young AMD64 motherboard and sound chipset. You mentioned that Windows XP runs fine but Windows XP released in 2001 is too old for the young motherboard & sound chipset. Either you installed the up to date sound driver from CD or the sound driver was downloaded & installed. You will need to download a more recent version of Knoppix, perferable Knoppix 3.8.2.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    23
    I installed Knoppix 4.0 Live DVD on my Compaq Presario V2335 and there is no sound. I installed Knoppix 3.9 before on this laptop without a hitch and I had sound. Here's the lscpci -v output

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: [e0] #09 [2109]

    0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    Memory at b0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
    Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: fast devsel
    Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    I/O ports at 1820 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at 1840 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at 1860 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at 1880 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    Memory at b0040000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [58] #0a [20a0]

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=216
    I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
    Memory behind bridge: b0100000-b01fffff
    Capabilities: [50] #0d [0000]

    0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
    I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
    Memory at b0040800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Memory at b0040400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
    I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at 1810 [size=16]

    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 3
    I/O ports at 20a0 [size=32]

    0000:06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
    Memory at b0106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:06:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 12f5
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
    Memory at b0107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

    0000:06:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 20
    Memory at 40080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Bus: primary=06, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176
    Memory window 0: 40400000-407ff000 (prefetchable)
    Memory window 1: 40800000-40bff000
    I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
    I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
    16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

    0000:06:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 22
    Memory at b0106800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
    Memory at b0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

    0000:06:09.3 Unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 57, IRQ 11
    Memory at b0104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

    0000:06:09.4 0805: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 57, IRQ 11
    Memory at b0108400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Memory at b0108000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Memory at b0106400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    thanks folks, will do the upgrade to a more current version

    thanks for the help !!

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. Maxi Sound Muse half channels sound
    By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of 24 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3 ECC MT36KSF2G72PZ-1G6E1FG Server RAM picture

Lot of 24 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3 ECC MT36KSF2G72PZ-1G6E1FG Server RAM

$299.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 RDIMM ECC Memory MTA36ASF8G72PZ-2G9B2 picture

Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 RDIMM ECC Memory MTA36ASF8G72PZ-2G9B2

$394.00



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50