Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix saved XP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix saved XP

    I'd like to start this story by saying that the guys behind Knoppix have done a fantastic job, for which I'm very grateful.

    My wife's notebook, an HP with XP, stopped working. Something happened to the machine that kept it in an endless restart loop: boot, load, reset, boot,... First I was affraid of a hard disk crash, but then I ran a BIOS hard disk check that told me the HD was OK.

    I tried all XP options: safe mode, debug mode, last known good, etc. None of them were effective: they all ended rebooting the machine apparently at the same point. The Recovery Console was of no use either: you can only access the WINDOWS directory and I needed data saved somewhere else.
    Reluctantly, I tried to reinstall XP. The installation program recognized the previous installation, but it stopped along the way for no apparent reason. I tried the same procedure again with the same unwanted results.
    I needed to save my wife's data, so I knew I had 2 options: either boot the notebook with an OS that could access NTFS and have network access or take out the HD and somehow connect it to my PC to retrieve the data. I didn't want to mess with hardware, so that would be my last resource.

    I went online but, as you all know, you have to ask cleverly to have Google perform its magic. Since my PC background is rooted in MS OSes, I hoped someone had written a DOS program that could access NTFS. And there are a few! (see NTFS4DOS: http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/). I could finally see my wife's files... But they were still locked inside the notebook. Even though I found a universal tcp/ip network boot disk (http://www.netbootdisk.com/) it didn't work (probably because something I did wrong). Also I found a lot of handy tools at http://www.bootdisk.com/.
    In my search, I ran accross a web site that mentioned Knoppix. I was not aware of Live-CDs, but they made a lot of sense. I visited the Knoppix site but the ISO files were too large for dial-up download. It was almost 3:00 am and I had to wait until next morning when I would download the files using a faster connection at the office. Once I made the CD, I tried it on a PC and I was amazed for what I saw.

    When I got home, I booted the notebook with Knoppix: boot, hardware discovey and driver installation, graphic interfase, everything ready in no time!!! When I wanted to connect to my PC, I discovered that the network card was not installed. I'm not afraid of the command line interface, but I'm not familiar with the commands and switches, so installing the card first and mounting the samba share would have taken me a lot of time. But Knoppix had graphical tools for both tasks and soon I was transferring the files to my PC over the network.

    Once the data was backep up, I clean reinstalled XP by performing a HD format. This time the XP installation went smoothly. When finished, I restored the data and the notebook was ready again.

    Simply put, the "humble" penguin saved the mighty XP with style. Knoppix is just great! In fact, it should change the "From 0 to Linux in 5 minutes" to "From 0 to Linux in UNDER 5 minutes".

    Congratulations to the guys behind Knoppix and thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5

    Trash compu saved

    Knoppix saved my sisters computer from the trash can

Similar Threads

  1. How Knoppix Saved My Laptop =)
    By sowthpaw in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
  2. Thank you KNOPPIX!!! You saved my XP data
    By collectorx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
  3. knoppix saved my ass!
    By crasstafari in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:03 AM
  4. Knoppix saved my life
    By knoppix_lover in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. Knoppix has saved me a ton of worry!
    By Xanthus179 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK picture

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

$334.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80