did you try
because by the permission it seems your not the root...Code:sudo knoppix-installer
When I install Knoppix v3.9 onto my harddrive this appears in the terminal
is this a bad thing?Code:knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 42: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 100: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied Can't open /mnt/hdinstall/home/adm/.mozilla/default/*/prefs.js: No such file or directory. /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found... In file "/usr/lib/menu/knoppix-gen-kwifi", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 1: [...]iFiManager" command="sudo kwifimanager -caption "%c" %i %m " icon=kwifimanager kderemove="y" [...] ^ Expected: "=" Skipping file because of errors... knoppix@0[knoppix]$
also when I boot up into knoppix from the hard drive... instead of the colorful Knoppix text theres this 'Kanotix (HD-Installation)'
when I try to login as root theres a pop up that says "Root Logins are not allowed".
but it lets me use 'su' in the terminal
Thanks for any help....![]()
did you try
because by the permission it seems your not the root...Code:sudo knoppix-installer
The installer runs but error mesages appear in the terminal?
It is OK. I've seen it before.
yeah the installation worked... kinda... but with the knoppix versions I'v had installed before I could actually login as root from the login screen.....Originally Posted by UnderScore
so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?
No. As far as I can tell, it is just diagnostic messages & is normal.so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?
Now that you have installed 3.9, and unless you alrewady have done so, you will need to fix the networking. There is a bug documented as #15 http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 and can be resolved by entering the command as root user:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
As for root, yes it has been disabled as a security feature. In almost all cases it is not necessary to run an entire KDE GUI desktop as the root user. Instead you can use su and kdesu to run commands or programs with the autority of root user in your existing KDE session.
From a non-root user account, edit a text file with KDE's Kate as root:
kdesu kate /path/to/file.txt
From a non-root user account, run KDE's Control Center as root:
kdesu kcontrol
To move/delete/copy files as root:
kdesu konqueror /path/to/folder/
It will popup a dialog and like su or sudo, it will ask for the root user password. Once you give it the root password, the command you gave it will run as root and will have full authority as root.
ok... thx for clearing that up for me...![]()
now... when I tried your command
this is what I got.....Code:ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
EDIT: ok nvm that last part.... I think I got it... haha..... thx againCode:adm@SYSTM:~$ ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean' to `/etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean': Permission denied adm@SYSTM:~$

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98