Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to make KNOPPIX fully NTFS support?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    22

    How to make KNOPPIX fully NTFS support?

    Hello..
    I know that KNOPPIX is not support for NTFS system (I use version 3.9).
    I just can't write or modify my NTFS partition.

    How to make KNOPPIX to be fully suported for NTFS system?
    Please tell me, I very need this.

    Thanks a lot
    regards.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    How to make KNOPPIX to be fully suported for NTFS system?
    You can't get perfect NTFS write support for Linux. It does not exist. There are alternative addons to the Linux Kernel but they too will not give perfect results. NTFS support in Linux is discussed at least twice a week. Search the forums for ntfs and you will find our past discussions.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: How to make KNOPPIX fully NTFS support?

    Quote Originally Posted by cluzterix
    ... I just can't write or modify my NTFS partition. ...
    Use captive ntfs. Linux and obviously Knoppix only have reliable read only ntfs capability. Captive ntfs will use this read only driver to find the microsoft xp drivers, copy them into linux and run a wrapper to grant ntfs write access. It works very well for me. Good luck, Gilles

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    22

    Re: How to make KNOPPIX fully NTFS support?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Use captive ntfs...
    ...copy them into linux and run a wrapper to grant ntfs write access.
    Where I can get it and how to install it, please..
    I am sorry I just still newbie..

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Have fun but be very sure that you have all of your data backed up first. From what I've seen here writing to an NTFS partition without captive is like playing Russian Roulet with a revolver with six bullets, or with a semi-automatic pistol. With captive it's safer, much in the same way that playing Russian Roulet with a revolver and only one bullet is "safer".

    I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see widely different results for users with no SP, SP1 and SP2, and maybe even some extra surprises depending on which "security updates" you let Microsoft install. Experiment, but have good backups!

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to make a disk image of a NTFS-format drive?
    By goldenh in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
  2. ntfs write support...
    By codeforge in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
  3. knoppix & NTFS support
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 07:13 PM
  4. NTFS Support
    By 7of12 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
  5. I need a (HOW-TO) to make KNOPPIX support My Lang.
    By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976

$90.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977  picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977

$100.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976

$100.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2390.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



1976 Scelbi 6800 Software Cookbook Altair 680 SWTPC Machine Language Programming picture

1976 Scelbi 6800 Software Cookbook Altair 680 SWTPC Machine Language Programming

$46.00