Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Loading X

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    Loading X

    I've been trying over and over again to get X working on my live run of Knoppix. Knoppix definitly recognizes my GeForce 3, and boots Knoppix but when it gets to starting X, the screen flickers, then goes to XFree86(vesa) flickers, then to XFree86(fdbd - or something) and comes back saying it can't load it. I've got a trinitron monitor, I don't know if that's it, but even though I get a bunch of cloop errors on loading, I did the testcd and it resulted in OK. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Did you try booting
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=nv
    ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    Yes I have, but thanks anyways

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK well how about some details? What other codes have you tried?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    Code:
    xvrefresh=60
    xmodule=nv
    fb1024x768 <-- didn't even accept the command
    testcd <-- which gave OK even though I get tons of cloop erros
    These are the codes that I've been using, any suggestions on any other codes to use during boot or something I should try to configure in the Kernel?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You can string multiple codes together like so....

    boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=nv wheelmouse noapic noapm

    Don't use 'xvrefresh=60' unless that is correct for your monitor. You can find the 'refresh rate' for your monitor online or in the documentation that came with it. Likewise, don't use the 'wheelmouse' code unless you have one.

    The simplest way to boot is like this:

    boot: failsafe

    As it says in the documentation this does minimal hardware detection.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    I know how to input more than one command into the boot, but here are some errors that I've got that I've written down.

    First on boot up I get cloop errors that end saying
    Code:
    creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk
    though testcd says everything is fine

    second when trying to boot X with the xmodule=nv, I get this:
    Code:
    EE: .......... nv_drv.o is unrecognisable module type
    .
    .
    .
    fatal error
    no screens found.
    Just as a reminder I'm using a GeForce 3 64 MGs (i might of said 32 by accident). and a Dell P991 Trinitron Monitor, both are recognized by knoppix. Any suggestions, ideas, or solutions (solutions are definitly welcome, but of course so are suggestions and ideas!)

    Thanks Alot!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    Loading X

    Unfortunatelly I can't help You, because I have this same problem. Please, let somebody help us.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try with lowest resolution and up.
    Start with screen=640x480.......screen=1280x1024

Similar Threads

  1. ssh not loading
    By mkyb14 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
  2. Help loading up normally
    By scubacuda in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
  3. Loading myconfig
    By evilkat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:52 AM
  4. usb module loading help
    By corwinspyre in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 08:38 PM
  5. Problems Loading
    By mikelaw101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00