Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't boot into Knoppix. HELP!!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    Can't boot into Knoppix. HELP!!!

    I was feeling a bit smug because I had upgraded and installed new software on my hard drive install ready for a remaster. I had a problem withh clicking on Open Office and a few other problems, so I thought I would defrag and scan the drive. i booted up using the disk and did fsck.ext3 (debug and verbose) and e2defrag (force and repair) and both came back clean. Now when I try to boot up my system I get a black screen with 999999 running across it instead of the loader screen. The systemis dual boot- windows XP and Knoppix 3.7. Using the disk I checked the drive and everything is still there. How do I fix this. Please reply in idiot speak .

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You defragged a ext3 partition? In practically all cases it is not necessary. We are trained to think it is necessary because of the larage amount of time we have spent with Windows filesystems (FAT32, NTFS).

    What is your bootloader? Grub or Lilo or Windows bootloader?

    Getting grub back on the MBR - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19793
    Getting lilo on the MBR and info on defrag - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86429#86429
    Getting Windows bootloader back on the MBR - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20540

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    re can't boot into Knoppix.help

    I have read the post and consider myself suitably chastised. You deserve a Knighthood or the american equivalent because you've brought my baby back to life. Thanks again

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73