-
Junior Member
registered user
Installing v3.9 help....
When I install Knoppix v3.9 onto my harddrive this appears in the terminal
Code:
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
/usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 42: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 100: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
Can't open /mnt/hdinstall/home/adm/.mozilla/default/*/prefs.js: No such file or directory.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found...
In file "/usr/lib/menu/knoppix-gen-kwifi", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 1:
[...]iFiManager" command="sudo kwifimanager -caption "%c" %i %m " icon=kwifimanager kderemove="y"
[...] ^
Expected: "="
Skipping file because of errors...
knoppix@0[knoppix]$
is this a bad thing?
also when I boot up into knoppix from the hard drive... instead of the colorful Knoppix text theres this 'Kanotix (HD-Installation)'
when I try to login as root theres a pop up that says "Root Logins are not allowed".
but it lets me use 'su' in the terminal
Thanks for any help....
-
Senior Member
registered user
did you try
Code:
sudo knoppix-installer
because by the permission it seems your not the root...
-
Senior Member
registered user
The installer runs but error mesages appear in the terminal?
It is OK. I've seen it before.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
The installer runs but error mesages appear in the terminal?
It is OK. I've seen it before.
yeah the installation worked... kinda... but with the knoppix versions I'v had installed before I could actually login as root from the login screen.....
so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?
-
Senior Member
registered user
so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?
No. As far as I can tell, it is just diagnostic messages & is normal.
Now that you have installed 3.9, and unless you alrewady have done so, you will need to fix the networking. There is a bug documented as #15 http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 and can be resolved by entering the command as root user:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
As for root, yes it has been disabled as a security feature. In almost all cases it is not necessary to run an entire KDE GUI desktop as the root user. Instead you can use su and kdesu to run commands or programs with the autority of root user in your existing KDE session.
From a non-root user account, edit a text file with KDE's Kate as root:
kdesu kate /path/to/file.txt
From a non-root user account, run KDE's Control Center as root:
kdesu kcontrol
To move/delete/copy files as root:
kdesu konqueror /path/to/folder/
It will popup a dialog and like su or sudo, it will ask for the root user password. Once you give it the root password, the command you gave it will run as root and will have full authority as root.
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok... thx for clearing that up for me...
now... when I tried your command
Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
this is what I got.....
Code:
adm@SYSTM:~$ ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean' to `/etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean': Permission denied
adm@SYSTM:~$
EDIT: ok nvm that last part.... I think I got it... haha..... thx again
Similar Threads
-
By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 CPU 5600MHz 96MB L3
$355.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00