Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: new here - lots of questions

  1. #1

    new here - lots of questions

    Ok, I've been using Knoppix for almost 2 years and I'm a fan of it. I'd love to install it to my HD, especially since the new DVD has come out, but I understand that this causes problems (someone said it was because of short cuts taken to make it run from the cd). So I have the following questions:

    1. An individual I met on IRC said that there was a downloadable file that puts the "missing" files back into a Knoppix hd install, but he'd forgotten where to download it from. A google search just turned up tutorials for installing it, plus all the warnings about possible problems. Does anyone here know of such a file somewhere? I'm guessing he was wrong, but I'd like to know for sure.

    2. Is there a tutorial soemwhere about installing Debian and making it into Knoppix's image, so to speak, on your software choices? (I've heard Debian's installer has improved - the last two times I tried it was a disaster, but that was over a year ago.)

    3. If no to both of the above, does anyone recommend any particular distro that's best for soemone who really likes Knoppix?

    Thanks in advance.

    -raven

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I have to type this quick. Someone else should be able to give you their opinion too.

    1) I tend to not trust a person I met on IRC unless I know their history (smart? not smart? serious? prankster?). There is no downloadable file that puts the "missing" files back into a Knoppix hd install. There _are_ methods of fixing a HD install but there are not auto-script or downloadble file. If you intend to do a HD install, please excuse some scary language or some negative tone, but please read this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=87187#87187. If still want to do a HD install, please note that Knoppix 4.01 DVD 8-16-2005 has not been installed by the forum's "experts" and I do not know if it does or does not break anything.

    2) Not that I know of.

    3) LiveCDs: Slax 5.0.6, SimplyMepis, Kanotix
    HD install Distros: For non-technical user: Linspire, Xandros
    For regular user: Suse 9.3 Pro, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian
    For technical user who wants to see all the tech stuff: Slackware, Gentoo,

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: new here - lots of questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenspirit2k4
    2. Is there a tutorial soemwhere about installing Debian and making it into Knoppix's image, so to speak, on your software choices? (I've heard Debian's installer has improved - the last two times I tried it was a disaster, but that was over a year ago.)
    There are Debian package lists found on the Debian site for each distro. You should be able to look over the package lists and apt-get whatever you want. I doubt if there is much you will find on the Knoppix disc that is not there. And, of course, you can skip getting all of the applications that you have no interest in.

    Yes, the installer has gotten a lot better. Not perfect yet, but then neither is Knoppix. It's worth your time to at least give it a look.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM
  2. new user - lots of stupid questions
    By tarinja in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 04:55 AM
  3. Lots of questions from a beginner
    By turbines in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM
  4. Lots of General questions about remastering
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:12 PM
  5. Tried lots of things ... but won't boot
    By David in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 06:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99