-
Junior Member
registered user
New 3.8 UnionFS Persistence -- Howto?
Hi! I have 3.8.1, a PC, and a 64Meg USB memory stick. I saw that 3.8 added the ability to use UnionFS to allow (effectively) persistent modification of any file in the filesystem, with the changes saved onto the USB memory stick.
The problem is, I've been searching the documentation and Google, and have been unable to find anything that says anything other than that I can do this. I have not been able to find anything that actually tells one HOW to do it.
Is there such a howto somewhere? Among the questions in mind are:
Do I need to do any special preparation of the memory stick?
Can I share use of the memory stick with other things?
Can the memory stick be FAT32 for use with Windows boxes and yet still work for this?
Do I need to tell Knoppix to go out and find the memory stick and start using it? How?
Does Knoppix find it automatically? At what point in the boot process? What script does it?
If I insert the memory stick after the boot process is finished, will it be used to overlay the file system, or is it recognized only at boot?
If I set this up on 3.8.1, will it still be good under 3.8.2, etc.?
Assuming some version in the future for which the UnionFS overlaying is not a good plan, can the memory be mounted as a regular filesystem to allow copying out the files, or is it stored in some kind of weird format?
That's about it, for now. Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
-
By zaxonus in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
-
By mr-roboto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
-
By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
-
By heiby in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

USED Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 BAREBONES Server NO RAM HDD or CPU, 2x 750w PSU 🚚
$170.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerVault DL2200 2x Xeon E5620 24GB RAM H700 2x500GB SAS RAID1
$199.00