Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Who is user nobody????

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Who is user nobody????

    Recently I noticed my hdd running wild when I wasn't really doing anything drive intensive. So I fired up top in a shell and found a user called "nobody" running "find." Who the heck is that? What the heck are we finding??

    I'm running knoppix-installered to hdd and created no such user. Have I been hacked??? I panicked, opening a root sheel, killed that process and userdeled nobody. Was that a good thing, or did I over react? I never noticed user nobody in top before....

    BTW, if I was hacked, did I do the right thing? My PC was running really slowly before I removed that process and user. Is there anything else I should do in this instance or to protect my PC against future attacks?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    "Securing Debian HOWTO Chapter 8 Frequently asked Questions" http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resourc...to/ch8.en.html
    nobody, nogroup: Daemons that need not own any files run as user nobody and group nogroup. Thus, no files on a system should be owned by this user or group.
    BAsed on my general knowledge & backed by google searches, the nobody user is only used for services/daemons that do not need to interact with files.

    It is certainly possible that your computer has been compromised. You may want to take a Knoppix CD and use chkrootkit to see if there has been a break-in.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Who is user nobody????

    --You overreacted. But I understand why, as you thought your system was being attacked.

    --In this case, ' ps ax ' would have helped more than top. Cron runs "updatedb" which runs "find" as user nobody. You really should add nobody back in, as it is the default non-privileged user for daemons and such. (If you have a backup of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, you should restore them.)

    From /etc/passwd:
    Code:
    nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Recently I noticed my hdd running wild when I wasn't really doing anything drive intensive. So I fired up top in a shell and found a user called "nobody" running "find." Who the heck is that? What the heck are we finding??

    I'm running knoppix-installered to hdd and created no such user. Have I been hacked??? I panicked, opening a root sheel, killed that process and userdeled nobody. Was that a good thing, or did I over react? I never noticed user nobody in top before....

    BTW, if I was hacked, did I do the right thing? My PC was running really slowly before I removed that process and user. Is there anything else I should do in this instance or to protect my PC against future attacks?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Oh, OK, I just never saw this happen before! Thanx for the info. BTW, chkrootkit shows no problems.

    Thanx,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  3. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  4. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. Knoppix User password for "Knoppix" user
    By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



WHOOP  TAB-8US2 8

WHOOP TAB-8US2 8" Quad Core, 4G, 32 GB SSD, 3 GB RAM, Tablet PC W/Cover Bundle

$59.95



Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop picture

Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop

$115.00



(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional

$285.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 4.70GHz 8 Core 100-000001084 16 Thread AM5 ~  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 4.70GHz 8 Core 100-000001084 16 Thread AM5 ~

$379.95



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU W/ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU W/ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard

$525.00