-
Can't boot into Knoppix. HELP!!!
I was feeling a bit smug because I had upgraded and installed new software on my hard drive install ready for a remaster. I had a problem withh clicking on Open Office and a few other problems, so I thought I would defrag and scan the drive. i booted up using the disk and did fsck.ext3 (debug and verbose) and e2defrag (force and repair) and both came back clean. Now when I try to boot up my system I get a black screen with 999999 running across it instead of the loader screen. The systemis dual boot- windows XP and Knoppix 3.7. Using the disk I checked the drive and everything is still there. How do I fix this. Please reply in idiot speak .
-
Senior Member
registered user
You defragged a ext3 partition? In practically all cases it is not necessary. We are trained to think it is necessary because of the larage amount of time we have spent with Windows filesystems (FAT32, NTFS).
What is your bootloader? Grub or Lilo or Windows bootloader?
Getting grub back on the MBR - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19793
Getting lilo on the MBR and info on defrag - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86429#86429
Getting Windows bootloader back on the MBR - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20540
-
re can't boot into Knoppix.help
I have read the post and consider myself suitably chastised. You deserve a Knighthood or the american equivalent because you've brought my baby back to life. Thanks again
Similar Threads
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter
$120.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$166.49

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99