Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hda

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4

    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hda

    Hello. I'm new at using knoppix. I'm trying to fix a friend's computer. When I turn on the computer, it simply says "No operating system detected." I figured I would try booting into knoppix so we could back up his files before I tried anything else, but I can't even seem to boot into knoppix. At the loading screen, it gets stuck on the second line: "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hda"

    Also interesting: at the top of same screen, it says "hda: INVALID GEOMETRY: 0 PHYSICAL HEADS?"

    It almost seems as though whatever is up with the hard drive is affecting knoppix somehow? But I thought knoppix ran exclusive of the hard drive entirely?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    turn off hardware detection (look in the cheatcodes section of the docs) and mount the disk manually with mount /dev/hda1 (or whatever partition it is. first disk, first part=/dev/hda1) /mnt/hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 will mount /dev/hda1 on mount point /mnt/hda1

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20
    I had similar problem with flash memory card... KNOPPIX could not detect the memory drive. Do you think I can install KNOPPIX on two 800 meg drives ?

    800 megs PRIMARY
    ---------------------------
    400 megs LINUX SWAP
    400 megs HOME

    I will try and mount the drives manually and see if it works...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyHill
    I had similar problem with flash memory card... KNOPPIX could not detect the memory drive. Do you think I can install KNOPPIX on two 800 meg drives ?

    800 megs PRIMARY
    400 megs LINUX SWAP
    400 megs HOME

    I will try and mount the drives manually and see it it works...
    I highly doubt it. The compressed loopback filesystem on the Knoppix CD is approx 695MB and it decompresses to about 1.8GB.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyHill
    Do you think I can install KNOPPIX on two 800 meg drives ?s...
    I highly doubt it. The compressed loopback filesystem on the Knoppix CD is approx 695MB and it decompresses to about 1.8GB.
    On the other hand it would be quite comfortable to install Debian and download plenty of the packages that you wanted in that space. Tommy, have you at least looked at an install of a recent version of Debian? Given that we know there will be problems to resolve with a Knoppix install, is there some problem with a Debian install that you don't think can be resolved, even with the advantage of being able to look at Knoppix and see how it detected things?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have tried the following boot options, none of which have worked so far:

    failsafe
    knoppix atapicd
    knoppix nohwsetup
    knoppix noagp noaudio noapm noapic acpi=off nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb

    Still keeps getting stuck on that same line. Anything else I could try?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mytruehero
    failsafe
    knoppix atapicd
    knoppix nohwsetup
    knoppix noagp noaudio noapm noapic acpi=off nodma nopcmcia noscsi nousb

    Still keeps getting stuck on that same line. Anything else I could try?
    When I have such problems I try knoppix expert and that way I can see how far I get and what the "wrong" answer to the last question was.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    When I type 'expert,' the following happens:

    Load SCSI Modules? n
    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
    Do you want to load additional modules from floppy disk? n
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hda

    Whereupon it just hangs. Typing RETURN for autoprobe at the SCSI modules prompt yields the same results.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    8
    From a purely tech/troubleshooting point of view...

    Is the BIOS able to see that damaged hard drive..do you get an entry for the drive when the machine boots?
    because no matter what operating system; the first sectors on the Primary Master Drive are assumed to be the MBR, and a boot loader will identify as HDA/HD0...if the bios identifies the drive as valid..then you know that knoppix has identified it as HDA and cannot even get enough physical data from the device to know that the knoppix file system is NOT on the device...that situation would reasonably lead me to believe that there is a serious problem with the read head on the device itself..unpluging the device from the powersupply and try booting the knoppix system without it in the device chain

    If the BIOS is not identifying the harddrive..then it will seek the next device in the chain ierimary slave ;secondary master ;secondary slave...so that knoppix will identify the first device in the chain during its hardware scan as HDA...if that device is your DVD Burner..then you know that there is something wrong with your disc and should try another.

    From the sound of the trouble shooting you have already tried...I am guessing that your hard drive is being identified by the BIOS, but has developed a Read issue serious enough, wether due to bad head or bad platters/sectors to be totally unreadable from a general point of view...try to unplug the harddrive power and see if knoppix gets past the hangup..if it does..then your chances of retrieving data from that drive and very slim...if it cannot provide enough information to the boot system to recognize the drive and the data on it..you cannot put it back into the device chain so that you could read the data from it

    jirah

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the long reply, jirah.

    I disconnected the hard drive, and that did the trick. I guess we're resigned to the fact that something physically is wrong with the drive.

    Thanks a lot for all the input, everyone. Greatly appreciated!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CDrom
    By phlyxuz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 10:37 PM
  2. Can't use my CDrom?
    By fasttech in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
  3. cdrom
    By ivansv1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
  4. Help with loading from cdrom
    By Pests in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 02:10 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB SAS 12Gb ST4000NM0025 7200 512n 3.5 HDD picture

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB SAS 12Gb ST4000NM0025 7200 512n 3.5 HDD

$48.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell Enterprise Plus Exos X10 10TB 3.5

Dell Enterprise Plus Exos X10 10TB 3.5" SAS HDD ST10000NM0276 100%-Wiped/Tested

$174.99