Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can I boot Knoppix with Kernel 2.6 of a USB fob ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14

    Can I boot Knoppix with Kernel 2.6 of a USB fob ?

    Hello,

    I was wondering why neither DSL nor Feather Linux use the 2.6 Kernel for booting of a USB fob.
    Are there any difficulties with booting a 2.6 kernel?

    I tryed to change the kernel Image and the minirt.gz, but wasn't able to boot afterwards.
    With the standard ISOs of DSL and Feather Linux with kernel version 2.4 it works.

    What I am thinking of is a customized Knoppix with KDE and 2.6 Kernel that boots from my USB fob.

    Maybe there is already such a Knoppix. If somebody can give me a hint, that would be great.

    CU
    Christian

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can I boot Knoppix with Kernel 2.6 of a USB fob ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spyhome
    I was wondering why neither DSL nor Feather Linux use the 2.6 Kernel for booting of a USB fob.
    Are there any difficulties with booting a 2.6 kernel?
    Look at when DSL was made and when it was last updated. This predates 2.6 in Knoppix. I don't know about Feather but I expect it's the same.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14

    I am one step closer

    Hello everybody,

    I finally made it to the init process. So I think linuxrc and kernel hopefully do work fine.
    Now I have the following message when the init process starts:
    Code:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)
    So if I understand the message right, the init process is not able to mount my USB fob. Is that right?
    I really don't know what to do now. Can somebody please help me out?

    I'm still trying to boot my Knoppix 3.8.2 with syslinux 2.11......

    Greatings

    Christian

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14

    Some more Information

    Maybe it helps if I give you all some more Information.
    I'm still not able to boot up the remasterd version I did.

    This is the syslinux.cfg file I'm using:
    Code:
    DEFAULT linux
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=de apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=m
    inirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    TIMEOUT 300
    KBDMAP german.kbd
    PROMPT 1
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    F1 boot.msg
    F2 f2
    F3 f3
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux26
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 initrd=minirt.gz vga=normal lang=de BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    The last lines where the boot process stops after the kernel image linux26 and the initrd.gz have been loaded is
    Code:
    RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)
    My usb stick holds the following files:
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  16K 2005-08-26 14:53 boot
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  147 2005-08-25 14:03 boot.msg
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1,5K 2005-08-25 14:03 f2
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1,7K 2005-08-25 14:03 f3
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  256 2005-08-25 14:03 german.kbd
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  16K 2005-08-25 14:04 knoppix
    -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 8,1K 2005-08-26 14:55 ldlinux.sys
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1,5M 2005-08-25 14:04 linux
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1,5M 2005-08-26 14:52 linux26
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  80K 2005-08-25 14:04 logo.16
    -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1,1M 2005-08-26 14:36 minirt.gz
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  338 2005-08-26 14:54 syslinux.cfg
    I have also changed the linuxrc inside the minirt.gz image. It loads the usb modules directly at the beginning.
    Code:
    KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOPPIX"
    KNOPPIX_NAME="KNOPPIX"
    case "$CMDLINE" in *knoppix_dir=*) KNOPPIX_DIR="$knoppix_dir"; ;; esac
    case "$CMDLINE" in *knoppix_name=*) KNOPPIX_NAME="$knoppix_name"; ;; esac
    
    INSMOD /modules/scsi/ehci-hcd.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/usbcore.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/usb-uhci.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/uhci.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/usb-ohci.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/usb-storage.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    $INSMOD /modules/scsi/ub.o >/dev/null 2>&1
    ash -c "sleep 4"
    But since I dont even reach this point in the booting process .....

    Doesn't anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
    I almoust can't believe that nobody has done it bevore.

    Please help me out !
    If I could, I would pay you a beer!

    Christian

Similar Threads

  1. Boot knoppix from other kernel
    By lars.tobias in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
  2. Boot problems after using Knoppix 3.7 with kernel 2.6
    By rosid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
  4. knoppix 3.7, kernel 2.6.9, boot from /dev/uba
    By jbreiden in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
  5. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage Apple Keyboard (MO110) picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard (MO110)

$61.30



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



2.0 LBS Vintage Scrap Memory RAM FOR Gold Recovery PC & SERVER RAM UNSHIELDED picture

2.0 LBS Vintage Scrap Memory RAM FOR Gold Recovery PC & SERVER RAM UNSHIELDED

$110.00



Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive... picture

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...

$149.99



Vintage Fujitsu FKB4725 Peerless Clicky Mechanical PS/2 Keyboard N860-4725-T601 picture

Vintage Fujitsu FKB4725 Peerless Clicky Mechanical PS/2 Keyboard N860-4725-T601

$40.00



Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro

$59.00



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse

$350.00