Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Created CD image, now what?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8

    Created CD image, now what?

    I've created the CD image -- it shows two folders: BOOT and KNOPPIX -- I'm using an old system so I've had to use a boot disk -- the system starts and I get an A: but nothing after that -- I'm able to get to the drive with those files on it, but think I must have done something wrong.

    Sorry for being such an idiot.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Created CD image, now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmedina
    the system starts and I get an A: but nothing after that --.....
    Classic sign of someone who decided he knew what he was doing and didn't have to follow the instructions in the downloading faq (reached by following the Documentation link near the top of this page). And I'll give 5 to 1 odd that you burnt the disc with Nero 6.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8
    Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6.

    The CD works fine in another computer (one that boots from CD), so the image was created without problems.

    It appears that my problem is with the boot disk. I've got to figure out how to make the computer boot to the CD, right now I can get it to boot to A:, and can switch over to the CD drives, R: and S: and view the directories, etc from disks in them. I've just got to search some more on how to edit the config.sys file to make the R: or S: drive bootable, instead of A:. Either that or give up on this old system and use one that will boot to CD.

    Thanks for the response anyhow.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tmedina
    Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6.

    The CD works fine in another computer (one that boots from CD), so the image was created without problems.

    It appears that my problem is with the boot disk. I've got to figure out how to make the computer boot to the CD, right now I can get it to boot to A:, and can switch over to the CD drives, R: and S: and view the directories, etc from disks in them. I've just got to search some more on how to edit the config.sys file to make the R: or S: drive bootable, instead of A:. Either that or give up on this old system and use one that will boot to CD.

    Thanks for the response anyhow.
    The A: prompt is typical of someone who burns with Nero 6 and takes an option to make the disc "bootable". Glad that's not what happened to you. You didn't mention that it booted on another system and said you thought you had done something wrong, this seemed the most logical choice.

    Forget about traditional boot disks. Download a copy of the Smart Boot Manager installer, and either install it to a floppy, or do it the easy way and install it right to your hard disk MBR. That should let you continue to boot your current Operating System(s) as well as boot a CD on a system where the BIOS isn't quite up to booting the CD.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    8
    That's what I needed -- Smart Boot Manager -- up and running now. THANKS!!!

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tmedina
    That's what I needed -- Smart Boot Manager -- up and running now. THANKS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmedina
    Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6..
    Glad to hear that you are finally up. By the way, you would have found about SBM a lot faster if you had read the answer to the question Q: My computer won't boot from CD. What should I do? in the Downloading Faq (currently item 14).



    no one listens to Zathras ........

Similar Threads

  1. Already created USB drive of Knoppix, but ...
    By kiddokit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
  2. How is /etc/fstab created?
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 01:39 PM
  3. Using persistent homedir on MS created on 3.6 with 3.8
    By jannetta in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
  4. About the partition created by QTPARTED
    By quit5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 03:23 PM
  5. How do dirs under /mnt get created?
    By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



SanDisk 1.6TB SSD SAS 2.5

SanDisk 1.6TB SSD SAS 2.5" 12Gbps Server Hard Drive SDLTOCKR-016T-5CA1 12G

$257.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$77.90