-
Plextor problem, too
I have a similar problem with my new Plextor DVD R-RW PX-740A.
I discovered this while trying to install Ubuntu 5.04, and then after its failure did a comparison with my KNOPPIX 3.8.1 live cd which had worked previously before adding the newer drive. All were MD5'd successfully and on name brand media.
After a lot of scrolling I got this...
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 745056
Buffer I/O error on dev hdc, logical block 186264
hdc:drive not ready for command
cloop: read error at pos 37817527 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 34592 bytes lost
cloop: read error -3 uncompressing block 16086
65536/0/34592/0 378317527-378352119
Buffer I/O error in device cloop0, logical block 514778
Bus error /linuxrc: cannot create /var/run/utmp:dir nonexistent
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block (1,3)
So I'm dead in the water until I put another CD drive in my Dell Optiplex. Maybe I'll see if there is a firmware update.
[edit: a bit later...] So here's something interesting I happened to dig up. My Plextor has the same chipset as the BenQ 1640 listed in this thread! Go look here. http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=2482&p=2 A firmware upgrade for me didn't help. I think we're both hosed... bummer...
Similar Threads
-
By Nils in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-23-2004, 03:24 AM
-
By Athauglas in forum General Support
Replies: 21
Last Post: 03-12-2004, 03:03 PM
-
By eXisTeNz in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 03:13 PM
-
By BradC in forum The Lounge
Replies: 20
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99