Hardly a day goes by with out seeing things like this posted in a IT section of the paper. Someone has a problem ... the tech tries to palm them off.... it is not funny !

To day there was an article about this bloke who purchaded a dvd recorder from Foxtell (Ruberts gang), it would record foxtell broadcasts ok, but would bail out on free-to-air broadcasts. Seems to Foxtell techs are trying to tell him that the problem is at his end ... no surprise there.

Obviously the product is smirfed to favour Foxtell braodcasts. Or some encoding used by the free-to-air channels is causing the problem. I think the later may be the actual case. But still ... treat the customer like a mushroom and feed them approprietly.

I can remember when i worked for Telecom, now Telstra .au ... we were explicitly told to tell the subscriber as little as possible ! ha.

I can remember nearly waking this tech at a shop in town when my new drive (a Quantum ata66 8Gb) wouldn't work on my ata33 board ... took ages untill i got onto a Quantum tech and was informed that a flash utility was freely available to flash the drive down to ata33 if i couldn' afford to upgrade ... I don't think i've ever been so mad .

It's gotta stop ... the general populations held esteem of IT and those involved isn't actually all that good, in case you have ever wondered (grin)


jm