Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Booting problems with ethernet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5

    Booting problems with ethernet

    Everything boots nice until knoppix get to my ethernet card. It detects it, then tries to broadcast for an IP, and that's where it just stops. I've been able to run older versions of knoppix fine, without this happening. My ethernet card is: Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (generic).

    any ideas?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5
    Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Try cheat code "nodhcp".

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334

    Re: Booting problems with ethernet

    Quote Originally Posted by oxigen
    I've been able to run older versions of knoppix fine
    Maybe nodhcp will help. Maybe acpi=off. Maybe there is a bug (Knoppix 3.9?), try search.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4

    I've experienced something simular...

    The acpi=off and nodhcp might work here too I think. My problem is with the older versions of knoppix. They don't seem to be able to successfully start an x86 session and run like they should. That as you might have guessed causes the process to hault. I'm gonna try the two "cheat" codes to see if I get any further. If any one knows how to bypass the x-server connection please let me know.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: I've experienced something simular...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    The acpi=off and nodhcp might work here too I think. My problem is with the older versions of knoppix. They don't seem to be able to successfully start an x86 session and run like they should. That as you might have guessed causes the process to hault. I'm gonna try the two "cheat" codes to see if I get any further. If any one knows how to bypass the x-server connection please let me know.
    x86 session? Perhaps you mean an X11 session? Older versions? What version of Knoppix are you using and on what hardware?

    To boot without an X-server, boot: knoppix 3 will boot you into text mode.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by oxigen
    Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?
    Have you found a solution to your problem? If so, please post back and tell us what it was. If not, what did you try and what were the results?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4

    Well I've made some progress...

    I took your advice and booted into runlevel 3. I managed to get it to install though now i'm left with the problem that it doesn't seem to want to boot from the HDD. I think I'm about ready to scrap this MoBo and start over.

    As for what kind of hardware I'm not sure. The MoBo it's self is rather nondiscript. It doesn't have any readdily apperant brand name markings on it and I havn't been able to find it by googling it's model number. For the rest of it I have a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott coupled with 512Mb of Kingston RAM. It's worked with about every other machine I've ever used so I don't think that's the problem. I have no reason to believe the processor is flaky because it works fine in a friend's Linux box. Frustrating would be an understatement at this point as I've tried every distro since knoppix 3.3 now to little or no success. It's almost enough to make me stray from Linux, "almost." Even if some one want's to just list everything to try that isn't in the FAQs I'd really appriciate it. I'm loosing my sanity on this one.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Have you found a solution to your problem? If so, please post back and tell us what it was. If not, what did you try and what were the results?
    Yes, I used the nodhcp cheat code, and everything booted properly. Now, I have a new problem, which is configuring ethernet card myself. I have no idea how to do that. If you could point me to a guide, that would be great.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    configure ethernet

    Quote Originally Posted by oxigen
    Yes, I used the nodhcp cheat code, and everything booted properly. Now, I have a new problem, which is configuring ethernet card myself. I have no idea how to do that. If you could point me to a guide, that would be great.
    Glad to hear the solution was as simple as a single cheat code.

    As for configuring your ethernet card, chances are that knoppix is loading the wrong module. I have that problem on one of my machines. knoppix loads a tulip module instead of a de2104x(?) module. The solution for me was to rmmod the tulip driver, modprobe the de2104x driver, and then run pump -i eth0.

    What ethernet card do you have? To find out, type 'lspci' and post the result.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
  2. VIA ethernet card problems
    By jcesaro in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.2 Ethernet Problems
    By JeRM in forum Networking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
  4. Knoppix booting up via ethernet
    By UY in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:23 PM
  5. Old Dell laptop + replicator ethernet problems
    By monkymind in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 04:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$53.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$117.45



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 SSD Excellent Health wiped

$54.99