Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?
Everything boots nice until knoppix get to my ethernet card. It detects it, then tries to broadcast for an IP, and that's where it just stops. I've been able to run older versions of knoppix fine, without this happening. My ethernet card is: Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (generic).
any ideas?
Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?
Try cheat code "nodhcp".
Maybe nodhcp will help. Maybe acpi=off. Maybe there is a bug (Knoppix 3.9?), try search.Originally Posted by oxigen
The acpi=off and nodhcp might work here too I think. My problem is with the older versions of knoppix. They don't seem to be able to successfully start an x86 session and run like they should. That as you might have guessed causes the process to hault. I'm gonna try the two "cheat" codes to see if I get any further. If any one knows how to bypass the x-server connection please let me know.
x86 session? Perhaps you mean an X11 session? Older versions? What version of Knoppix are you using and on what hardware?Originally Posted by Sephiroth
To boot without an X-server, boot: knoppix 3 will boot you into text mode.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
Have you found a solution to your problem? If so, please post back and tell us what it was. If not, what did you try and what were the results?Originally Posted by oxigen
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
I took your advice and booted into runlevel 3. I managed to get it to install though now i'm left with the problem that it doesn't seem to want to boot from the HDD. I think I'm about ready to scrap this MoBo and start over.
As for what kind of hardware I'm not sure. The MoBo it's self is rather nondiscript. It doesn't have any readdily apperant brand name markings on it and I havn't been able to find it by googling it's model number. For the rest of it I have a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott coupled with 512Mb of Kingston RAM. It's worked with about every other machine I've ever used so I don't think that's the problem. I have no reason to believe the processor is flaky because it works fine in a friend's Linux box. Frustrating would be an understatement at this point as I've tried every distro since knoppix 3.3 now to little or no success. It's almost enough to make me stray from Linux, "almost." Even if some one want's to just list everything to try that isn't in the FAQs I'd really appriciate it. I'm loosing my sanity on this one.
Yes, I used the nodhcp cheat code, and everything booted properly. Now, I have a new problem, which is configuring ethernet card myself. I have no idea how to do that. If you could point me to a guide, that would be great.Originally Posted by rwcitek
Glad to hear the solution was as simple as a single cheat code.Originally Posted by oxigen
As for configuring your ethernet card, chances are that knoppix is loading the wrong module. I have that problem on one of my machines. knoppix loads a tulip module instead of a de2104x(?) module. The solution for me was to rmmod the tulip driver, modprobe the de2104x driver, and then run pump -i eth0.
What ethernet card do you have? To find out, type 'lspci' and post the result.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

Vintage DataArm RBX Ergonomic Computer Arm Supports Desk Mount Pair Wrist Rests
$99.99
Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse
$159.95
Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM
$275.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
Vintage Compaq 2930A Handheld Computer PC Software Accessories Voyager VGA
$199.95
Vintage Apple Macintosh II Video Card 820-0198-A7 NuBus BCG9GRM0201 1987
$60.00
Vintage Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM PCI Video Card S3 Vision964 4MB VGA 1994
$120.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other
$299.99
Vintage APC WMR1000G 54 Mbps 3-in-1 Wireless Mobile Router G Brand New Sealed
$14.00